Sustainability of Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapingWet

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here.

A question that's been swirling around in my head for a while: how are we to understand/judge the sustainability of the oils we select for soaps?

Palm has gotten a lot of attention for a good reason, but I'm sure the farming of other oils is contributing to damage in rainforests, deserts, water supplies, people etc.

Palm products have the RSPO looking after and certifying sustainability. Does a similar organization exist for any other oils? Any thoughts ya'll might have on the sustainability of different oils would be greatly appreciated!

*Edit: Deserts, not desserts!

Last edited:
Palm is pretty much the highest concern for many. Also, it's been questioned if RSPO actually really oversees all of the production. I personally still use Palm in a couple recipes for my vegan soap. I'm sure others will pipe in with their information as well.

I haven't been able to find a good balance on this topic. A lot of people choose vegan soap because it equals to less cruelty for them, yet not a lot of them know the impact of palm oil production. I still use lard and tallow because they are great for both soap and the skin. I do explain to my customers the pros and cons of vegan soap vs animal but at the end its their call. I choose to buy sustainable palm oil and only use animal fats for a small portion of the soaps.

I use lard in most of my soaps but I also us palm in vegan soaps. I did some research on palm oil. The largest amount is used for bio-fuel. If the production of palm were stopped a lot more land would be needed to produce the amount of oil needed. There are more and more sustainable sources becoming available but a lot of places will still buy the other as it is cheaper. Coconuts are picked by Monkeys in Thailand. But where do we draw the line? The over production of palm has put the orangutans out of their home and that is heartbreaking, monkeys are used to pick coconuts because they pick much more than a human can. But we also have child labor and humans working for next to nothing to produce stuff we use in everyday life. Do we remember to look for a fair trade label when we buy a chocolate bar? There are children in Western Africa that work from 6 in the morning until evening on cocoa farms. So while I am a huge animal lover and don't like to see animals come to being wiped out due to clearing of the land and forests (which all growing countries do to build malls and homes as the human population grows) what about the children? How many people that refuse to use palm oil refuse to buy chocolate? In a perfect world animals wouldn't be displaced from their homes, people would be treated and paid fairly and our children would not be exploited. :)

I'm personally not opposed to animal fats. Yes, they still in some small way contribute to the demand for the overall animal product industry, but as was pointed out, lard/tallow are byproducts that need to be used. I've been staying away from animal products mostly because of the demand for vegan soaps, and the "ewww" factor that a lot of people seem to have about seeing lard/tallow on a label.

Cedarstar, good points about the coconut oil. Seems exploitive of animals (seeing as how a monkey can pick many times more coconuts per day than a human), and maybe something we could be more conscious of.

One area I'm looking into is algae derived oils. It is possible to produce up to about 13x more oil/acre/year of algae oil than palm oil. But without specific acid/fat profiles it's difficult to tell how well they will perform in a soap. The availability of algae oils is very limited too. Anyone have experience with algae other than as a colorant?

The thing I'm trying to keep in mind...no matter what, no matter how sustainable something seems, it is going to have an impact on the planet, on other people, on animals. I don't think its possible for humans to do anything without impacting the world. I don't say that as a dig against humanity, but as an acknowledgement that 100% sustainable isn't going to be possible. My goal is to be more conscious and aware of the impact that I am having.

Many aspects of soap making contribute to an environmental footprint. When I first started looking into using natural colorants, like clays and some oxides vs. manufactured colorants, I came across articles about the destructive effects/deforestation for mining and labor practices. A responsible manufacturer/producer will have control over their waste streams, which may mean they have less of an environmental footprint. The labor practices may also be better for controlled manufacturing, although we know that is often not the case. My soapmaking journey began at just about the same time my rural community stopped accepting plastics for recycling program. China stopped taking a lot of US recycling waste and the alternatives turned out to be too expensive for my community. The plastic buildup at home led me to ordering some oils and butters in bulk, which then made me think about the footprint associated with shipping/transportation. As a result, I am trying to order as many products as I can from regional suppliers. We all have a footprint and for me the key principle is to try to keep it as small as possible.

The plastic buildup at home led me to ordering some oils and butters in bulk, which then made me think about the footprint associated with shipping/transportation. As a result, I am trying to order as many products as I can from regional suppliers. We all have a footprint and for me the key principle is to try to keep it as small as possible.

Couldn't agree more. It's so difficult not to buy in bulk over the internet though, especially if you're trying to make money in any business. No judgement; I'm the same person. I shop local, until I see that I can buy a similar product on Amazon for half the price and won't have to leave my house to get it...

As of late, I've been trying to build relationships with local folks. Initially the costs seem big, but after spending some time on the phone, in person and getting to know them, the bulk deals locally seem to get a little bit better. Re-using old jugs to fill up new oil from the barrels at the processing plant saves quite a bit in the waste stream.

Back