Suppliers of solid rapeseed oil please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christine5367

Reaction score
Good morning,
I am very new to soap making but I have a lovely recipe which calls for 60gms of solid rapeseed oil. Can anyone tell me where I can buy solid rapeseed oil?

Thank you

I've never heard of rapeseed oil...I bought rapeseed oil for cooking once and it's just as liquid-y as other regular cooking oil such as olive and sunflower.
There is something called rapeseed wax though and it's a wax solid at room temp. The recipe may be referring to that. It's commonly used in candle making and you may be able to find it through candle suppliers.
If you can post the full recipe we can also help figuring out if you can substitute it with more common oils or butters.

Hi Thank you for your replies. I went on a soap making course and we used solid rapeseed oil but I have not been able to find where to buy it. The basic recipe is as follows

Solid Oils
Rapeseed oil 13%
Coconut Oil 32%

Liquid oils
Olive oil 35%
Sunflower Oil 12%
Caster Oil 8%

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

The only problem I see with your recipe is that's it's a bit high on liquid oils and low on hard oils. So may take longer to cure due to this. Though I've not used wax if that's what it is. Your coconut oil is a bit too high, I don't generally go much over 20% though some can do 25%. Coconut oils is the cleansing oil in soap and too much will strip more or too much natural oils from the skin. Castor oil is generally good at 5-7% but too much more may cause some stickiness to your recipe.

I would not just switch your recipe over to canola oil/rapeseed unless it's HO if you can't find the one you're looking for as too much canola may cause rancidity to your soap over time as it has a short shelf life.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you run it through a soap calculator to get the appropriate amounts of lye needed.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with shunt that the CO is a little too high. Even for my most cleansing bars I use 30%. For general skin I'd 20% is good enough for a shower bar. You can change from there.
It looks like solid rapeseed oil/rapeseed wax is probably used for adding hardness to the soap. In that case you can try substitute it with another hard but not cleansing oil/butter such as soy wax, palm, lard, tallow, etc.

Latest posts

Back