Supermarket olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan Green

Reaction score
Hi
i was wondering if supermarket olive oil can be used for cp soap and if so which ones are best
In the uk

I prefer to use Grade A. Virgin OO is wasted in soap (IMO). Some people like Pomace as well.

You may also want to check into High Oleic (HO) sunflower and rice bran. More economical. I use 10% each (sunflower, ricebran and grade A olive) in my soap.

I prefer to use Grade A. Virgin OO is wasted in soap (IMO). Some people like Pomace as well.

You may also want to check into High Oleic (HO) sunflower and rice bran. More economical. I use 10% each (sunflower, ricebran and grade A olive) in my soap.
Thank you for your reply I’m new to soap making I understand the answer in theory but a bit over my head at the monent

I get my Olive Oil from either Sam's Club or Costco. Not sure if you have the equivalent of these stores in the UK or not.

We have Costco macro and few other wholesale style shops.

I get mine from lidl @Allan Green. Regular oo is what i usually use take your time keep it simple for the time being while you get more confidence. A liter bottle of regular light oo from lidl is about 2.79 and aldi is about the same i personally wouldnt buy much until you know you want to use it in a regular recipe and in what quantity.

Im in uk too so feel free to inbox if you want any help finding stuff Ill always try help if i can. Iv made a list of fo that do and dont accelerate so that might be some use to you :)

We have Costco macro and few other wholesale style shops.

I get mine from lidl @Allan Green. Regular oo is what i usually use take your time keep it simple for the time being while you get more confidence. A liter bottle of regular light oo from lidl is about 2.79 and aldi is about the same i personally wouldnt buy much until you know you want to use it in a regular recipe and in what quantity.

Im in uk too so feel free to inbox if you want any help finding stuff Ill always try help if i can. Iv made a list of fo that do and dont accelerate so that might be some use to you :)
That is very helpful and the list of would be very helpful and appreciate just have to figure out recipe

That is very helpful and the list of would be very helpful and appreciate just have to figure out recipe

What oils do you have or want to use in a recipe? I dont have a problem inboxing you the recipe i use that i have been changing to best suit me. Of course you could always use that as a base and change it to best suit you. Have a look at soap queen and soaping 101 they are great sites to use. and the forum has its own soap calc please always always put your recipe through a soap calc to ensure you have the right quantity of lye and oils. Shattered tonight so going bed soon but ill get on my pc tomorrow sometime and type out a message that will hopefully help point you in the right direction.

I used to get mine from Sam's club but since the kids are grown and milk isn't purchased 10 gallons at a time anymore, I don't go there. The Great Value OO at WalMart is inexpensive and is fine for CP. I keep a bunch on hand. Right now the price is best on 25 oz bottles. I have a heap of 17 oz bottles on hand. Check ASDA Supermarket in the UK. They are owned by the WalMart Corporation since 1999. They may have an equivalent. Just look for the cheapest classic OO.
IMG_2160.JPG

Last edited:
What oils do you have or want to use in a recipe? I dont have a problem inboxing you the recipe i use that i have been changing to best suit me. Of course you could always use that as a base and change it to best suit you. Have a look at soap queen and soaping 101 they are great sites to use. and the forum has its own soap calc please always always put your recipe through a soap calc to ensure you have the right quantity of lye and oils. Shattered tonight so going bed soon but ill get on my pc tomorrow sometime and type out a message that will hopefully help point you in the right direction.
Thank you

I used to get mine from Sam's club but since the kids are grown and milk isn't purchased 10 gallons at a time anymore, I don't go there. The Great Value OO at WalMart is inexpensive and is fine for CP. I keep a bunch on hand. Right now the price is best on 25 oz bottles. I have a heap of 17 oz bottles on hand. Check ASDA Supermarket in the UK. They are owned by the WalMart Corporation since 1999. They may have an equivalent. Just look for the cheapest classic OO.
View attachment 34980
Thank you my daughter actually works for asda

View attachment 34980

Not to be owned by walmart for that much longer from what iv heard another supermarket called sainsburies have bought them off walmart. I have struggled to find simple stuff that people have mentioned they have found in walmart so im pretty sure they dont really have that much in common except for ownership for the time being at least. I find asda very hit and miss and lidl and aldi are much cheaper but that again might be a country thing or could even be regional cant imagine wigaan asda sells stuff the same as an asda in middle of London

Hi Allan Green
Welcome to the forum.
Like Chris_s, I'm also in the UK and get my olive oil from Aldi. They do 1 ltr for 2.79 and makes excellent soap. Its blended olive oil and virgin olive oil, one with 20% and one with 3% virgin. I use the 3% one because its a lighter colour. I get my coconut oil from B&M, 1.69 for 500g, thats a lot cheaper that you can buy bulk from wholesalers. Try mother natures goodies for your essential oils (they sell on ebay). I get my other oils (sweet almond and castor) from The Soapery, also on ebay.
Like Chris_S says, always run your recipes the a soap calc.
Enjoy, its addictive!

Hi Allan Green
Welcome to the forum.
Like Chris_s, I'm also in the UK and get my olive oil from Aldi. They do 1 ltr for 2.79 and makes excellent soap. Its blended olive oil and virgin olive oil, one with 20% and one with 3% virgin. I use the 3% one because its a lighter colour. I get my coconut oil from B&M, 1.69 for 500g, thats a lot cheaper that you can buy bulk from wholesalers. Try mother natures goodies for your essential oils (they sell on ebay). I get my other oils (sweet almond and castor) from The Soapery, also on ebay.
Like Chris_S says, always run your recipes the a soap calc.
Enjoy, its addictive!

Wow i missed that trick about coconut oil from b&m is it defonatly in g not ml most say it in ml and g is lower figure took me a few months to notice this but anyways i got a big 5kg bucket from the soapery i had a 10% off and was getting other stuff too. I noticed this after reading a lidl jar of co. I have got the oo from aldi too and got the lighter one from there wasnt aware of the specific blends but knew they were blended with evoo just always picked up the lighter one as thats also what i use for cooking. i checked the figures for saponifacation values and both oo and evoo where both in same values parameters. I looked this up after i couldnt find evoo on the soap calc. Hey @Deadgroovy have you got a curing rack that needs a layer of something iv just setup my shelves with some perferated plastoc sheets like 80p a pop cheapest i could find else where was like 2-3 quid a sheet. Never tried that company ill have a gander have you tried supplies for candles of soap suppliers same company just different website

Latest posts

Back