superfatting liquid soap question

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

rhiamom

Reaction score
I am a new soapmaker, having made 0% superfatted cold process lard and lye soap for laundry detergent, a failed batch of 5% superfatted 80% olive, 20% coconut liquid soap (it separated) and a successful batch of 0% superfatted 80% olive oil 20% coconut oil soap. All using distilled water, no glycerin.

The liquid soap I have made is fine for dishwashing and washing hands at the sink, but it is far too drying for use as a shampoo and body wash. My experience with Kirk's bar soap tells me it is probably the coconut oil causing the drying.

I want to superfat my liquid soap to make it less drying. I understand I can do this by using sulfonated castor oil, as it is water soluble. My question is, do I add the castor oil into the soap calculator, or leave it out? Do I add it at the beginning, or just stir it in at dilution?

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I've never superfatted with sulfonated castor oil, but from what I understand according to Failor's method, it is added to the finished, diluted soap after it has been neutralized, so, I take it from that that it is not included in the up-front soap calculator calculations.

I superfat my own liquid soaps after dilution with meadowfoam seed oil mixed with PS80 to solubize it into the body of soap.

IrishLass :)

rhiamom

Reaction score
Thank you! That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. Now I just need to order myself some sulfonated castor oil to use.

rhiamom

Reaction score
Update: I am going to try a new liquid soap recipe that simply uses regular castor oil as an ingredient. I will try a basic 8 oz Castor oil, 12 oz Coconut oil, 20 oz olive oil mix. According to my handy soap calculator this should be both more moisturizing, better cleansing, and have a nicer lather.

Latest posts