Superfatting level? What's your favorite number?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm worried about my plumbing now. I didn't know my new hobby could have other side effects :)
Then I got to thinking about handmade soaps that are sold, none of them comes with warning to the plumbing system.

Where I live it's usually warm most of the year, and we live in an apartment. So I'm hoping the pipes will stay relatively clear because of the temp. I wouldn't want to cause plumbing problems for 50 units. How much should I worry about this?

Handmade soaps don't come with warning labels because it is the making of the soap and the subsequent clean up afterwards that is the issue we are talking about. When people insist (I used to be one) that all the soaping dishes be washed immediately, they were dumping raw soap batter down drains. Not a lot, mind you, but not what you need to be doing to your pipes. The soap would hang up in the P trap (if you were lucky) or further down (if you weren't). Then it would solidify. And form a mini bar of soap in your pipe. Repeat per batch of soap made. End result is a blocked pipe.

To prevent that, you just make darned sure that every speck of raw soap isn't raw any more, and dispose of as much of it as you can outside of the sink.

ETA: Thank you Carolyn! You have saved me a bunch of repair bills!

Handmade soaps don't come with warning labels because it is the making of the soap and the subsequent clean up afterwards that is the issue we are talking about. When people insist (I used to be one) that all the soaping dishes be washed immediately, they were dumping raw soap batter down drains. Not a lot, mind you, but not what you need to be doing to your pipes. The soap would hang up in the P trap (if you were lucky) or further down (if you weren't). Then it would solidify. And form a mini bar of soap in your pipe. Repeat per batch of soap made. End result is a blocked pipe.

To prevent that, you just make darned sure that every speck of raw soap isn't raw any more, and dispose of as much of it as you can outside of the sink.

ETA: Thank you Carolyn! You have saved me a bunch of repair bills!
Thanks Susie, that makes a lot of sense.

I think that info should always be included in instructions and tips for beginners.

Thanks Susie, that makes a lot of sense.

I think that info should always be included in instructions and tips for beginners.

What "should" be included in instructions for beginners would require a rather large book, because what you think should be included is not what the next person thinks should be included. Then you have that whole set of folks that no matter how much you warn them will not follow what we think are basic safety practices. Best to read lots of sources or a forum.

May be it helps to use once in a month hot water (with some lye?) to flush the pipes in order to avoid clogging?

I've been adding a little l limonene to my dish soap and letting my soap making dishes soak in it overnight. It really seems to help break down the soap!! I use 5% superfat in my soap formulas that have a higher cleansing value and 2% in regular formulas!!

Last edited:
What "should" be included in instructions for beginners would require a rather large book, because what you think should be included is not what the next person thinks should be included. Then you have that whole set of folks that no matter how much you warn them will not follow what we think are basic safety practices. Best to read lots of sources or a forum.
Yet things like this that have to do with safety, preventing problems and damage, and avoiding large repair bills, could easily, and I believe should, be included in basic instructions without the need of a large book. Many people may find a simple basic recipe or instructions, and just use it indefinitely without doing further research. Admittedly, they probably aren't the ones who do it everyday, but still, I think a little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

What does it take? A sentence or two to recommend not washing fresh soap batter down the drain, and maybe a sentence or two more to explain why?

Once people are given the information it is on them whether they follow it or not. We've done our duty if we've warned them of potential issues.

I am one who just makes plain soap occasionally for my own use, and even though I glance through these forums and other internet resources at times, I don't recall ever being warned about putting raw batter in the drain, nor was I smart enough to think of it myself, (though luckily I hosed my utensils off outside when weather permitted just to avoid making a bigger mess in the kitchen), and it appears from other comments on these threads here that many others, assumedly more serious and accomplished soapers than me, haven't either. As I recall, at least one here has experienced expensive plumbing issues that might have been avoided.

I agree we could probably go too far with warnings, but at the least maybe instructions could include a link to important tips and information that include this.

You know, I have decided to include a tidbit on this very issue (what pouring oils down the drain can do) in the lesson plan for my granddaughter.

IMO, all parents that live in an area with indoor plumbing, already teach their sons & daughters not to pour oils or anything else down the drain, at some point or another. Yet sometimes the sons & daughters disregard the wisdom of their parents, especially when their parents are not around to provide reinforcement as to why they were cautioned against that action. I caught my granddaughter doing that very thing one day last time I visited; she was cooking and rather than pour the oil into the oil jar next to the stove, she poured it down the kitchen drain. Of course, I addressed it at that moment.

Incidentally, depending on who teaches a person how to make soap, to some degree or another, the topic of what to do with the soaping oils (don't toss them down the sink) is covered in some degree. Some may go into greater detail than others, but I had a face-to-face soaping instructor who did talk about this.

So although it is not always covered by every soaping book ever written, I do believe it is perfectly reasonable that a teacher leave out some things that are reasonably assumed the student already has basic understanding. In a one-to-one situation or in a forum such as this, obviously when the questions come up OR when unwise practices come to light, it will be addressed.

Also keep in mind that there are people like me who have faulty reasoning. I know better than to dump oil in the drain, but in my little mind soap batter wasn't as bad because I expected the lye to counteract the properties of the oil and allow the vast majority to be washed through. Plus we're only washing down the residue left on the dishes, much as with other dirty dishes, not dumping entire bowl fulls. So I doubt everyone else considers the extent of possible buildup either.

Last edited:
I've been making soap for ? years (lost count) and washing off residue straight after making and also the next day or two. Never had blockages in the pipes, so it's nothing I've thought worrying about.

Also keep in mind that there are people like me who have faulty reasoning. I know better than to dump oil in the drain, but in my little mind soap batter wasn't as bad because I expected the lye to counteract the properties of the oil and allow the vast majority to be washed through. Plus we're only washing down the residue left on the dishes, much as with other dirty dishes, not dumping entire bowl fulls. So I doubt everyone else considers the extent of possible buildup either.

I was scraping every bowl quite well before the plumbing issue came up. Just to get every bit possible into the mold. And I was wiping my bowls and utensils with paper towels to make them easier to wash when I did wash them the same day I made soap. Don't you? I also wipe out skillets of all remaining oils before washing them. Don't you? To me that is basic cleanliness. Why should I warn you of things that I would not know that you do or don't do?

I haven't had a plumbing problem yet. I hope to never have one. And I really didn't worry about it until I moved where there is hard water and therefore soap scum. How would I know what kind of water you have?

Are you really one of those people that need to be told every little thing that I consider common sense?

I've been making soap for ? years (lost count) and washing off residue straight after making and also the next day or two. Never had blockages in the pipes, so it's nothing I've thought worrying about.

I've never had problems either, after years
While Susie's theory on the face of it seemed very reasonable to me, maybe it's not so much in practice. Maybe that's the reason I never saw a warning concerning the matter aimed at stupid people like me. If you soap infrequently at most, as I do, probably most of any soap that hardened in the pipes would eventually wash and wear away. Or easily be dislodged with a plunger. Quite possibly a lot better than plain grease. Is it possible my initial reasoning may have not been so faulty after all?

Another note I might make is that I also use plenty of dish detergent to wash down whatever very minimal residue I leave in the bowl before stupidly washing it down the drain, especially if I don't rinse the utensils off outside as I mentioned.

I was scraping every bowl quite well before the plumbing issue came up. Just to get every bit possible into the mold. And I was wiping my bowls and utensils with paper towels to make them easier to wash when I did wash them the same day I made soap. Don't you? I also wipe out skillets of all remaining oils before washing them. Don't you? To me that is basic cleanliness. Why should I warn you of things that I would not know that you do or don't do?

I haven't had a plumbing problem yet. I hope to never have one. And I really didn't worry about it until I moved where there is hard water and therefore soap scum. How would I know what kind of water you have?

Are you really one of those people that need to be told every little thing that I consider common sense?

But didn't you have some kind of learning process?

When people insist (I used to be one) that all the soaping dishes be washed immediately, they were dumping raw soap batter down drains.
Why insult people for things you used to do yourself?

If I offended you somehow, that wasn't my intention. I actually thought you had made a good point and thought it deserved more consideration. But it appears I was wrong to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
While Susie's theory on the face of it seemed very reasonable to me, maybe it's not so much in practice. Maybe that's the reason I never saw a warning concerning the matter aimed at stupid people like me. If you soap infrequently at most, as I do, probably most of any soap that hardened in the pipes would eventually wash and wear away. Or easily be dislodged with a plunger. Quite possibly a lot better than plain grease. Is it possible my initial reasoning may have not been so faulty after all?

Another note I might make is that I also use plenty of dish detergent to wash down whatever very minimal residue I leave in the bowl before stupidly washing it down the drain, especially if I don't rinse the utensils off outside as I mentioned.

But didn't you have some kind of learning process?

Why insult people for things you used to do yourself?

If I offended you somehow, that wasn't my intention. I actually thought you had made a good point and thought it deserved more consideration. But it appears I was wrong to do so.
Don't worry, there's a lot of awesome soap makers on here that are passionate about their craft, myself included!! We're all at varying levels expertise and have all had different experiences! That's part of what makes this forum so awesome!! I love having a place to research, learn and ask questions to grow from each other's experiences. You're not dumb at all. I've worried about this myself & it looks like a lot of others have as well!

Back