Superfatting: How much?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuurt

Reaction score
How do you know how much to superfat in your CP soaps, is there like a recommended percentage?

On soapcalc.net, 5% is a default superfat. I normally superfat about 6%-7% for regular batches of soap. I use 4%-5% when I'm adding cream or buttermilk and 18%-20% for salt bars (I use 20% if water is the liquid). These are just personal preference on my part after experimenting with various batches at different SF percentages.

I think this is something you'll have to play around with and see what SF percentage you prefer.

There are many threads on this topic. Do a search and you will get a lot of opinions.

I prefer 8% for most recipes.

Do a search and you will get a lot of opinions.
After having done this, my conclusion is that superfat should be adjusted on a recipe by recipe basis.

I can imagine superfating being adjusted on a recipe by recipe basis if you have experience in soap making, but what if you're a newbie like me? As someone with no experience I couldn't even guesstimate, or know around about how much to superfat.

Well, you probably don't want to go under 5%. And you probably don't want to go over 8%. If you have a significant amount of coconut oil (25-30% or ), you should probably do a 7-8% SF. If you have a lot of oils with a really low shelf life, and not high on the cleansing scale, I would do 5% or so. If I want to use it on my hair, I use about 5%.

Play around and see what you like. There aren't any set rules as to what your SF should be, other than you should have a SF.

I don't think you can go too wrong with a nice 7% SF, though. It's a good middle-of-the-road amount.

What recipe are you using? How accurate is your scales? How fresh are your oils? Generally 5% is good SF. If you're using oils with a long shelf life, then you can safely go higher.

I mentioned earlier I use 6%-7% in batches in which I use distilled water. Usually my recipes have about 45%-50+% olive oil which is the one oil I would be most concerned about going rancid. I have only experienced one incident of DOS and that is one tiny orange spot on a bar from my second batch. This bar (actually half of a bar :wink: ) is over 2 years old and it's been kept in a bathroom. It's not been wrapped and isn't stored well. I used a 5% SF in the batch.

This is just a suggestion but you could start with 5% and see how you like it. You might prefer it. I like my bars to be more conditioning so I use less coconut and more of other oils to raise the conditioning value. That's also why I like a slightly higher SF. Probably a 1% to 2% increase in SF doesn't make much of a difference but it's just what I've gotten used to doing. You'll just have to experiment to learn what you like.

When I first started out, I made everything with 5%. Or 6% if I was feeling froggy. Now I've begun to play with the SF amounts and I find that it changes how soap feels a lot. Try the same recipe with different amounts of SF and you will see.

There are so many variables to test out and learn about that it can become very overwhelming especially if you complicate it by using lots and lots of different ingredients as well. It seems your original question has been answered well, so I am morphing this into advice about keeping it simple. I played with several different oils and then finally decided to keep it simple with just a few oils. Now, I have to start all over to figure out what my base recipe will be with just those.

Be sure to take advantage of that search feature. I can't tell you how invaluable that thing has been for me. Tons of info right at your fingertips, any time of day. Love it!

zeo

Hazel said:
On soapcalc.net, 5% is a default superfat. I normally superfat about 6%-7% for regular batches of soap. I use 4%-5% when I'm adding cream or buttermilk and 18%-20% for salt bars (I use 20% if water is the liquid). These are just personal preference on my part after experimenting with various batches at different SF percentages.

I think this is something you'll have to play around with and see what SF percentage you prefer.

Hazel, this is great info! I learned a few things from it. Thanks for sharing!

zeo

You're welcome. That's sweet of you to say. I'm glad I was able to help. I tend to vary the SF depending on what liquid I'm using. I calculated fat percentages of buttermilk & cream quite awhile ago so I don't remember what they are now. Heavy whipping cream will really add a lot of extra fat which is why I lower the SF in those batches. Buttermilk doesn't change it by much. I think it was only about 1% or 2% depending on the brand.

azimuth's post reminded me - I made a facial bar soap that I used an 8% SF. I forgot about it because I made it over a year ago. The bars last forever since I only use it on my face. I also only have half the batch because I split it with my sister.

I always used to think you had to do under 5% for milk soaps and that includes coconut milk definitely. But I started doing 6 and 7% and am really happier with those. The soap is nice and hard and gentle and no DOS has ever happened.

Back