Superfatting cream soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya is soaping

Reaction score
Hi, I want to make a batch soap using a full fat cream frozen slushy in my lye. Just wondering if you usually superfat at 0% because of the fats in the cream?
My other oils will be
Tallow, olive, shea butter, coconut and castor. Normally I would superfat at 4 or 5%

The milkfat content in cream can be a large percentage of the fats in the recipe, depending on how much cream you're using, so it might not be wise to just reduce the superfat an arbitrary amount and hope for the best. I calculate the weight of the milkfat in the cream and include that milkfat weight as part of the fats in my recipe. Here's how: https://classicbells.com/soap/nutritionLabel.html

By using the cream to dissolve NaOH, you'll see bits of milkfat soap forming in the lye solution. You may also end up with white flecks of this soap in your batch.

I would keep the super fat where you normally have it.

Also, Have you thought about just adding the cream to the oils ?
I add my Yogurt to the oils before Lye. Have not had any issues with it and it make my lye mixed with water SO much easier. I don't have to freeze the water and then while the lye cools I just get all my other things in order.

Latest posts

Back