Superfat Suggestions for Aleppo type recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi other Florida soap maker! I’m in the Wellington/Palm Beach area, so I know the joy of our humidity. 😭

I’m at work, so I would have to check once I’m home, but I want to say my superfat was in the 5% range. Kept low on purpose as I wanted to get that out of the mold and onto racks so I could forget about it for the next 6 months to a year 😂

But I want to say I did a 31% water concentration as well for subsequent batches I’ve done, as I remember being shocked that the higher water was a Bigger pain with trace.

I wish I had bright red hair. I have that sort of muddy red hair that isn’t terribly pretty, but as there’s not much of it anyways, it’s always up in a clip. I’ve gotten better about wearing my long sleeves on camera now that I have my fancy ones, but my freckles do occasionally make an appearance from time to time.

I hope some of that helps. It’s an excellent soap!

You're about 2 hours south of me; I'm near the Kennedy Space Center. Where do you keep all those goats?

My hair isn't bright anymore. The older I get the more it turns into a non-color. It was carrot-top red when I was young so I was picked on pretty mercilessly. Only 'old' people liked it, which made me hate it even more...LOL! Thank God those days are long gone :)

I watched your Aleppo video. Your soap turned out really nice. I want to try a ghost swirl technique some day. Good idea to do it in the OPW technique.

We have 11 acres in Loxahatchee, which is adjacent to Wellington, but lacks its taxes.

I love that area you are in, my best friend lived in that area until she abandoned me for Seattle. 😭

Also, now that I’m home, I checked my notes, it was actually a 7% super fat, and a 45% water concentration, with a lye ratio of 1.2:1 that I use-
And 35 LBO to 65 OO, virgin, pressed.

I’ve made this a few times, and yes, it can be soap on a stick.
Oddly, this was the soap that taught me a Higher water content would speed trace, so I do a lower one with my Aleppo bars.
I don’t know if I’m allowed to link to videos, but I’ve one on my YouTube where I did a OPW with 4 different concentrations of lye for a ghost swirl challenge.

If you lower the water, and keep everything at room temp, it should behave better.
Yes, you are allowed to link to videos. I would love to see your youtube channel.

ETA: Oh, I have seen your channel before. Wonderful. I have now subscribed.

Last edited:
Yes, you are allowed to link to videos. I would love to see your youtube channel.

ETA: Oh, I have seen your channel before. Wonderful. I have now subscribed.

I never want to step on toes or self promote out of turn, as I know that can be a touchy subject, and each place has its own rules.

Thank you for subscribing! 🥺🥰

Back