Superfat / Lye Discount

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiastray

Reaction score
From what I've read and understand, this accomplishes the same thing, right? Whether I superfat by 5% or discount the lye by 5%, is the result the same?

If so, then why did a recipe I come across recently say to 'discount the lye INSTEAD of superfatting'? Am I confused on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Superfatting is a term used in HP more than CP. It means adding more oils after you cook the soap, adding more fat after the saponification process in Hp "superfats" the soap with the quality of the added oils/s after the cook.

In CP, the term lye discount referrs to the amount of lye needed to 100% saponify the oils/fats in your batch. The common lye discount is 5%, meaning you only use 95% of the lye required to completely saponify the oils/fats in your recipe. So a small amount, 5%, free oils remain in the finished soap, assuring not a lye heavy, dangerous soap. Hope this makes sense! :)

Paul

Thanks for the quick reply, Paul. So...if I'm using soapcalc, and at top right where it says 'Super Fat/Discount %', if I am making HP, this would be the superfat %, and in CP this same section would be my lye discount? I'm new at all this, so it's still a little confusing and overwhelming for me. :( And frustrating! Thanks again.

No problem, my pleasure. :) Soapcalc is set at a 5% lye discount by default. There are times to up the discount to more, like a salt bar, but with a normal recipe, 5% is pretty standard for a safe bar of soap.

georgiastray said:
...if I'm using soapcalc, and at top right where it says 'Super Fat/Discount %', if I am making HP, this would be the superfat %, and in CP this same section would be my lye discount? I'm new at all this, so it's still a little confusing and overwhelming for me. :( And frustrating! Thanks again.

2 terms that mean exactly the same thing no matter what proces you are doing.

You should read up on millersoap to understand or follow this link

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapm ... perfat.htm

Thank you, Lucy - that article explained it very well! I really appreciate the link.

Thanks Paul for the info.

I knew a tiny bit about discounting and super-fatting. But wasn't confident in what I thought I understood.

You just cleared it up and further explained it for me! BTW, Don't you just LOVE the SoapMaker program?! I am love, love, lovin' it! HA HA

busymammaof3 said:
Thanks Paul for the info.

I knew a tiny bit about discounting and super-fatting. But wasn't confident in what I thought I understood.

You just cleared it up and further explained it for me! BTW, Don't you just LOVE the SoapMaker program?! I am love, love, lovin' it! HA HA

Your welcome Erin. :wink: Diane and Crawford's program is a fantastic soap calculator, and more. 8)

Back