Superfat % in Cream Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baylee

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a question about the % to be used when making cream soap. I am using the soapee calculator, and Step 4 asks for the Superfat %, is it 0%, or is there a range or even an average that is used. Or, do you check the 'superfat after cook' option? I hope this made sense to y'all. Thank you!!

Of the more typical cream soap recipes I looked at, the range of lye discount (superfat) was 5% to 21% with the average being 12%.

You can superfat after the cook or before, as you prefer. If you want the best chance of having the superfat be a specific fat, then add that particular fat after the cook. If you don't care what fat is the superfat, then add all the fats up front and let the lye decide.

Of the more typical cream soap recipes I looked at, the range of lye discount (superfat) was 5% to 21% with the average being 12%.

You can superfat after the cook or before, as you prefer. If you want the best chance of having the superfat be a specific fat, then add that particular fat after the cook. If you don't care what fat is the superfat, then add all the fats up front and let the lye decide.
Thank you DeeAnna, you rock!! So, if I just do the Stearic Acid @ 2%, or use another fat to sub the stearic acid, that's considered the 'superfat'? 'Superfat' and 'Supercream' are the same thing?

No, the stearic acid added after the cook is in addition to the superfat, which is why I suppose it's called the "supercream" to distinguish it from superfat.

In this type of soap, the stearic acid added after the cook is functioning as a thickener and texture modifier, much like it's used in a lotion. You can't just add more fat -- it won't thicken the cream soap in the same way that the stearic acid does.

Back