Super Quick Saponification... maybe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redglade

Reaction score
Just made my first batch of soap! I followed a recipe from Royalty Soaps and when she was mixing everything it took about thirty minutes to get to light trace. By five minutes, I was thinking that it already looked about ready, but since this is my first batch I just knew that couldn't be the case. Three minutes later I had to stop because it was getting to heavy trace! I double checked the recipe, measured everything twice, the only variant I can think of is that my kitchen is about 73 F while her studio was around 84. Would that have been enough for such a large time difference?

Royalty Soap makes large batches, which usually takes longer to trace from my own experience. She also soap at what I assume is room temp. Even then I'd say 30 min sounds too long. Did she say it exactly so in her video? I watch her videos but didn't pay much attention to small details.
If you use a small batch and/or soap warmer (as in oil and lye's temp), it's going to trace faster. What size is your batch? Are you using FOs or EOs? What the temp of your oil and lye? These info may help.

Royalty Soap makes large batches, which usually takes longer to trace from my own experience. She also soap at what I assume is room temp. Even then I'd say 30 min sounds too long. Did she say it exactly so in her video? I watch her videos but didn't pay much attention to small details.
If you use a small batch and/or soap warmer (as in oil and lye's temp), it's going to trace faster. What size is your batch? Are you using FOs or EOs? What the temp of your oil and lye? These info may help.

She has a video series for beginners, nothing but small batches. My mold is 11 inches long, 3.5 tall, 3.2 wide, the batch fit right into it, I used a bottle of FO, the lye was at 79 degrees, my oils were at 74. In the video she had a timer going in the corner while she was blending and it actually went up to 32 minutes, instead of 30.

In the video she had a timer going in the corner while she was blending and it actually went up to 32 minutes, instead of 30.

I love Katie and her videos! I watch this one above and it was 30 seconds, not 30 minutes. It doesn’t take very long to get to trace usually. With your stick blender you should pulse for a couple seconds then just stir for a bit. And just alternate between quick bursts and stirring until you reach light to medium trace.

Latest posts

Back