Super Newbie Soaper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trouble_Trout

Reaction score
Hello! I’m brand spankin’ new to soaping. I got inspired after reading about all the garbage that was in my favorite shampoo and conditioner and happened upon the concept of shampoo/conditioner bars. I decided to customize a recipe with all the good stuff that my current combo has and none of the “yikes” ingredients.

I’ve been doing my research on oils and recipe writing so far and am ready to take the plunge to get myself some gear. If anyone has any leads on a good place to start for basic supplies or know someone who’s getting rid their collection or something to that effect, I’d be very grateful! I’m definitely a soaper on a budget! Lost my job due to the pandemic after being on unpaid maternity leave since the beginning of March. So, I’m at hubby’s mercy for a soap making budget.

Welcome, @Trouble_Trout ! You might want to do a bit of reading in this forum about true "shampoo bars" (which contain some synthetic detergents) vs. "hair soap," which is bar soap used to wash the hair.

I'd say the majority of folks cannot successfully use hair soap for long before they end up with seriously damaged hair! I'm one of the few who did use hair soap for years with no ill effects. But there are definitely far fewer of us whose hair tolerates that well, as opposed to those whose hair was completely wrecked. I had to stop using it when I started coloring my hair with henna. Sadly, the soap strips the color right out. Boo.

I have a lot of extra soaping tools such as mixing bowls, spatulas, cavity molds, stick-blender, etc. - AND I will be traveling to Reno in about a week to see some family there. PM me if you are interested!

Hello and welcome! I second doing some research. Soap as shampoo ruined my hair. Some can use it many more cannot. If you do a search on the forum you’ll find several posts on this. However, handmade soap is awesome For the body.

Welcome, TroubleTrout!

You can actually find a lot of what you need for soapmaking at your local grocery store (oils/fats, pots or bowls for soaping, utensils, etc...), hardware store (lye) and natural food stores (oils/fats/butters, essential oils, herbs, etc...)

If you can't find certain ingredients locally, there are several soapmaking vendors online that are wonderful and that have everything you could possibly want or need.

IrishLass :)

Agree with Ali. Your shampoo + conditioner have synthetic detergents in them; your soap (if it is true soap) will have lye + oils. So they will be very different.
It is possible to formulate a good, synthetic shampoo or conditioner bar, but the process is quite different from the soapmaking process. You should really decide first which one you would like to try (or both!).

For syndet things, Humblebee&me has some nice and (some) beginner-friendly recipes, with clear instructions. There are a lot of others too.
For true soap, keep reading on this forum -- there is a *lot* of information on here.

Welcome! I originally became interested in soap for the purpose of shampoo as well, but then found out the pH of soap causes dullness, thinning, and breakage for most people. I may get into synthetic detergent (syndet) shampoo bars, but first I'm buying shampoo similar to what I think I'd want. It's cheaper to buy a bar than to buy all the ingredients and equipment to make said bar. This is true of both soap and syndet and both use different ingredients and equipment so you might want to consider a similar approach. Quality products generally require quality ingredients, which generally require good money. It's one of the few things soap and synthetic detergents have in common. I've read books on both soap making and synthetic detergents so I have an idea of what the ingredients do, but the search bar for this forum is a free resource for whatever captures your attention. I'm making soap while figuring out my shampoo situation, and it's possible that if I find a suitable hair product I will simply continue to purchase it and save myself the time/equipment cost, at least for the time being.

Welcome! I originally became interested in soap for the purpose of shampoo as well, but then found out the pH of soap causes dullness, thinning, and breakage for most people. I may get into synthetic detergent (syndet) shampoo bars, but first I'm buying shampoo similar to what I think I'd want. It's cheaper to buy a bar than to buy all the ingredients and equipment to make said bar. This is true of both soap and syndet and both use different ingredients and equipment so you might want to consider a similar approach. Quality products generally require quality ingredients, which generally require good money. It's one of the few things soap and synthetic detergents have in common. I've read books on both soap making and synthetic detergents so I have an idea of what the ingredients do, but the search bar for this forum is a free resource for whatever captures your attention. I'm making soap while figuring out my shampoo situation, and it's possible that if I find a suitable hair product I will simply continue to purchase it and save myself the time/equipment cost, at least for the time being.

That's a great point. I was planning on getting into soap making as a hobby at the very least anyway. But as far as finding a replacement for my shampoo/conditioner combo, I like what you're saying. I originally got the idea from Etsy anyway! So maybe I'll go back there to see what I can find for my hair.

Thank you!

That's a great point. I was planning on getting into soap making as a hobby at the very least anyway. But as far as finding a replacement for my shampoo/conditioner combo, I like what you're saying. I originally got the idea from Etsy anyway! So maybe I'll go back there to see what I can find for my hair.

Thank you!
Soap is absolutely fun, I don't want to downplay that, and now that I have my own soap and body butter to compare things to, commercial products make me a little sad. I've paid a pretty penny in equipment, but most of that is because I want to make landscape soap.

Soap is absolutely fun, I don't want to downplay that, and now that I have my own soap and body butter to compare things to, commercial products make me a little sad. I've paid a pretty penny in equipment, but most of that is because I want to make landscape soap.

I'll be honest, I had to google landscape soap. That is SO COOL! I could see why the equipment for that could be expensive though! Oh my GAWD. I'm a bit of a maker already; I knit, crochet, sew, quilt, cook, bake, make sugar scrubs.... Now I'm wanting to get into soap, lotion, body butters, syndet and candle making. Am I insane? Probably...

I'll be honest, I had to google landscape soap and HOLY CRAP. That is SO COOL! I could see why the equipment for that could be expensive though! Oh my GAWD. I'm a bit of a maker already; I knit, crochet, sew, quilt, cook, bake, make sugar scrubs.... Now I'm wanting to get into soap, lotion, body butters, syndet and candle making. Am I insane? Probably...
Wanting to create wonderful things is the most sane thing ever, in my opinion! Though, as with all wonderful things, care should be taken that it doesn't overrun one's wallet, time, home... I mean, I'm not saying that's what happens as knowledge and inspiration strike, I'm just saying it's a worthy goal.

I'm 3 months new to this and have a shampoo bar sitting on the shelf almost ready to try. I can only hope I'm one of the lucky ones that will be able to use it without all the issues... time will tell.
In the meantime, I'm head over heels obsessed with soap making and honestly it's very difficult to do it on the cheap. Having said that I've found I really like soaping with lard which is a very reasonable 'oil' to use but produces a really nice bar! Good luck in your journey!

Latest posts

Back