Super happy/first batch ever!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pictures of my first bars of soap ever, and I cannot believe they turned out this well!
Ok, so I know there's a lot that can absolutely still go wrong, and they can't be used for 6 weeks etc.
Also, I know it's not recommended to use micas, fragrance oils, titanium dioxide, or other finicky additives on your first batch, but I did all of those things, (BB White Ginger and Amber, titanium dioxide and King Tut from Mad Micas, and Citric Acid) because my goal in any new hobby/skill is to make as many mistakes as possible as soon as possible.
Also, you're supposed to use a tried and true recipe, not formulate your own monstrosity right off the bat.
What I'm trying to say is thank you to everyone who's helped me so far, and please don't hate me if you had a terrible first batch experience.
Everything behaved beautifully, all my preparation paid off and soaping went smoothly, and the scraps are lathering like I'd hoped they would.
Anyways, pics of full size bars and I also cut a few sample bars so people (family) can see if they like it without being stuck with a full size bar if there's something about it they don't care for.

Attachments

• 15939177872166195722825575207513.jpg
    15939177872166195722825575207513.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 18
  • 1593917865595853196983502707497.jpg
    1593917865595853196983502707497.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 18
Also, I know it's not recommended to use micas, fragrance oils, titanium dioxide, or other finicky additives on your first batch, but I did all of those things, (BB White Ginger and Amber, titanium dioxide and King Tut from Mad Micas, and Citric Acid) because my goal in any new hobby/skill is to make as many mistakes as possible as soon as possible.

Also, you're supposed to use a tried and true recipe, not formulate your own monstrosity right off the bat.

Most recommendations are made as helpful suggestions, based on experience. If you feel confident enough to go for it, no reason why you shouldn’t. I took a more cautious approach, but that is me.

Lovely looking soap. Congratulations.

They look amazing! I’d be very please if my first batch turned out that way. I have been doing my research and getting some ingredients together to make my first batch. I’m not so brave I have a very basic recipe to start.

They look amazing! I’d be very please if my first batch turned out that way. I have been doing my research and getting some ingredients together to make my first batch. I’m not so brave I have a very basic recipe to start.
I was feeling nervous beforehand as well, so I tried to think of it as baking a cake or a batch of cookies while wearing goggles and gloves. Working with sodium hydroxide reminded me of being allowed to crack eggs for the first time; adrenaline rush with the potential for a mess, but really nothing to it (I wiped everything in its vicinity down with an acid solution anyways, just to ease my mind). It's just measuring, mixing, and pouring, with precautions on the mixing side instead of the baking side.
All that to say, you can do this! And I wish you the best of luck with your first batch!

Back