Sunscreen for lip balm???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleodnaturals

Reaction score
I'm wondering what I can add to my lip balms to make them have some SPF in them. Will titanium dioxide act as an SPF? If so, how much should I use? I know I'll never get it approved as having any SPF but I'd like to be able to say it has some sun protection rather than nothing at all.

thanx!
:D

mcleodnaturals,
I second your question and add this...
I have been reading and reading about SPF for lip balms and wow nothing is "really" safe lol.
Ok, I have narrowed it down to titanium dioxide and/or red raspberry oil.
I did find this chart (see link)
http://www.pvsoap.com/SPF_chart.htm
It shows how much to add, but I have read that micronized or nano can be bad for us as the particles become so small they can pass through the skin and into cells. They say that the regular sized bigger than 15... **** I forget the measurement they used... is safer, but less effective. Both zinc and titanium dioxide are also better because they refract the bad uvs instead of the chemicals that absorb.

I really like the idea of red raspberry oil, but have yet to find an spf chart to know how much to use, it is pricey! Said to be between 28 and 50 spf, but at what amount and so on...

This is an interesting site too (see link)
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/produc ... nothanks=1

I hope someone else has more knowledge that they will share
:wink: :wink:

Oh yes! I do want spf in my lip balm, but do understand that I can not label it claiming spf, as that would change it to an over the counter drug and turn the eye of the FDA on me :lol:
Thanks,
Jeff

Ahh zinc Oxide finely ground so that each particle is a tiny reflector, baffling and diffusing the sun's harmful rays. It is in a lot of spf products, but I like the idea of raspberry oil better.

sunscreen

Try Somerset cosmetics. They sell sunscreen and have a lot of info on them. I bought zinc oxide from the pharmasist but I won`t use it because it has mineral oil in it. What is zinc pink? Blessings

Glad you find the link helpful :wink:
I am getting ready to try making some, but want to test it!
Maybe I could make a smiley face on the back of each of my hands and use one w/sunscreen and one w/out and sit in the sun for an hour lol!
I just want to be able to tell (verbally) my customers that it should help against sunburn...(shh not claiming anything :roll: )

yeahh!!! and then take pics of it after your done!!! I want to see some good smile-age to prove it blocks the suns rays!! ;)

IanT said:
yeahh!!! and then take pics of it after your done!!! I want to see some good smile-age to prove it blocks the suns rays!! ;)

:lol: :lol: .......please post pics if you do this. :lol: :lol:

Digit

I was out for about an hour and a half Sunday and had three areas on my arm that I applied lip balm.
One was regular w/o any spf
One was with raspberry seed oil
One was with titanium dioxide
Well not a darn thing happened, I didn't see any difference.
I am going to try it longer and on a part of my body that doesn't have much tan yet, no not my butt lol.
I will also apply a coat of store bought lip balm with SPF in it!
Next time I get a hot sunny day that I can be out for a couple hours... Geez maybe I should hire some neighbor kid to do this for me :lol:
I'll post pics if something happens!
Remember this is a scientific experiment and will prove once and for all what an idiot I am!
Jeff

Latest posts

Back