Sunflower Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saqqa

Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone tried to use 100% sunflower cooking oil for their soap ?

Where I stay only OLIVE OIL and SUNFLOWER oil are common (Olive oil are abit expensive)

What do you suggest ?
(Should I mix them together? )

Sunflower's about 70% linoleic acid, which many of us suspect of causing DOS over the long haul (it's a fatty acid that oxidizes and goes bad fairly easily). Overall, many of us limit our total linoleic + linolenic acids to 15%.

For the most part, I wouldn't use more than 10% to 20% absolute max of sunflower oil, just looking at the numbers. Too much more would potentially cause problems, and the soap will be soft besides.

However, there's also high oleic sunflower oil, which would be a great substitute for olive oil at any percentage you'd like to use it. If you have that, feel free to use 100% high oleic sunflower oil.

You can add some rosemary oleoresin extract is a natural anti-oxidant. You can try adding a little of that to the soap batter to prevent DOS>

I have been searching unsuccessfully for HO sunflower oil in Canada. Our local grocery store has mid-oleic sunflower oil. Not sure if this will do or not. I thought of trying to sub only part of the OO. I could ad ROE. Any other suggestions/knowledge?

I have been searching unsuccessfully for HO sunflower oil in Canada. Our local grocery store has mid-oleic sunflower oil. Not sure if this will do or not. I thought of trying to sub only part of the OO. I could ad ROE. Any other suggestions/knowledge?

I'm in Ontario and have found high-oleic safflower in many grocery stores (Food Basics, Metro, etc). I haven't had luck finding high-oleic sunflower, but the safflower is quite nice!

Latest posts

Back