Sunflower High Oleic vs Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngian

Reaction score
So this period I'll try to make two test batches of soap that will have exactly the same recipe/additives apart from that the one will have Sunflower HO and the other EVOO and each one will have its own Fragrance Oil.

Here is the recipe:

EVOO / Sunflower HO 40%
Lard 30%
CO 15%
PKO10%
Castor 5%

SF 3%
Lye Concentration 33%

Additives: Oatmeal flour, Sugar, Salt, Sodium Citrate, silk fibers, FO: orange / Black Rasberry Vanilla - (all FOs don't accelerate).

I'm doing this experiment so as to see if the results (how it feels while bathing) will be the same/alike based on the fatty acid profiles of the two major oils. Their fatty acid profiles are almost the same and here are the information from their labels:

Sunflower High Oleic
sunflower_olive_01.jpg

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

sunflower_olive_02.jpg

From the above labels the fatty acid profiles are:

Sunflower:
82% Oleic Acid
8% Linoleic/Linolenic Acids
9% Palmitic/Stearic Acids

EVOO:
78% Oleic Acid
7% Linoleic/Linolenic Acids
14,5% Palmitic/Stearic Acids

In a maybe third experiment I will instead use 40% Pomace Olive Oil that has almost the same fatty acid profile as the other two.

The cost for buying these oils is:
Sunflower HO 13E/Litre,
EVOO 5E/Litre,
Pomace Olive Oli even less than 5E/Litre.

I just wanted to post this in case someone has to offer any advice or experience upon this experiment / recipe / or anything else.

Nikoshttp://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
Nikos, you probably know this, but I've never heard that linoleic/linolenic acids do not produce nicer soaps per se, just that they are more likely to be DOS'y/melty, so it seems like people who like them (a) limit the amounts in the formula and (b) add some anti-oxidizing/rancidity factor like Vitamin E, combo of CA and BHT, EDTA, etc.

I use Rice Bran oil from Riceland. As far as I know it is not a high oleic version. I always add Vit. E to my soap. I have never had a problem with DOS.

Rice bran doesn't come in a low oleic version, so there's no distinction made because there is none to make!. It's naturally high in oleic acid ... more like olive than like regular sunflower.

Rice bran doesn't come in a low oleic version, so there's no distinction made because there is none to make!. It's naturally high in oleic acid ... more like olive than like regular sunflower.

DeeAnna after reading soapcalc's fatty acid profile of Rice Bran oil and also two labels from two different rice bran oils on Amazon, it seems that oleic acid is (~40%) by a few percentages more than linoleic but it is not as high in total oleic as olive/sunflower HO is (70-80%).

I didn't intend to suggest RBO has the same fatty acid profile as HO sunflower or olive, I just was trying to explain there is no "low oleic" version of RBO in response to the specific question you asked, "...Was it a high oleic version?..."

RBO is far closer to olive and HO sunflower than it is to regular sunflower -- RBO has more than twice the oleic acid (40%) than regular sunflower (16%). But as you have done, any soaper needs to evaluate each oil for the qualities it will add to a soap recipe.

So the sunflower HO version of soap is ready, but I did had acceleration and it may was for the reason that sodium citrate was not fully dissolved in water before adding the soda and when I poured all of them in the oils. SC, water and NaOH had made a whitish opaque solution...

sunflower_olive_05.jpg

Colored my ugliest soap ever with TD, turmeric and blue pigment, while scented with Rasberry Vanilla.

In two months from now I will try them to see if there is any difference (apart from colors and scents) in how they feel on skin.

sunflower_olive_04.jpg

:wave:http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I think if I were testing two recipes head-to-head, I would leave out the scents and colors and whatnot, make them as much the same as possible other than the actual recipe. Otherwise the test looses some validity.
Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back