SUN BLOCK - turning purple HELP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the product was poured hot and capped before cooling fully, it's possible that condensation could have formed along the surface of the container. That coupled with the glycerin could have been enough to provide a medium for bacteria or fungi. In the absence of testing, it's hard to say for sure.

If the product was poured hot and capped before cooling fully, it's possible that condensation could have formed along the surface of the container.
If it came down to the same temperature the air was at before the hot stuff was put in there, there's no add'l humidity for condensation to have formed from.
That coupled with the glycerin could have been enough to provide a medium for bacteria or fungi.
Even at 80% (20% water), glycerine is going to abstract water, not supply it.

I know this post is old, but just in case someone stumbles upon it like I did.... The purple is basically rust. The zinc oxide is oxidizing. This is most common in mineral sunscreen with iron oxide. It WILL turn you purple if applied to your skin and is a big reason why you should always remove sunscreen at the end of your day. I imagine these bottles are not sealed properly or (like one commenter mentioned) had a big layer of condensation on the inside.

Back