Sulfur Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to make a soap that looks like a creeper from the game Minecraft. It's a novelty soap for a bunch of teens I know, but I would also like it to be a usable soap. It needs to smell bad, like an burnt match, so I thought sulfur! But I can't seem to find a recipe for sulfur soap.

Any ideas how much sulfur powder to add? 10%, I'm guessing. At trace I suppose. And what oils I should use? Neem oil maybe? And?

minecraft-creeper-face.jpg

Sulfur will acidify your soap, so I wonder how wise it would be to work to add sulfur to CP soap. I'm a chemical engineer but a soap newbie, so take my comments with a grain of salt (or lye!) I'd look at fragrance oils or essential oils to give you that "burnt match" kinda smell.

S + H20 = H2SO4 (sulfuric acid)

--DeeAnna

Would adding the sulfur to the oils before adding your water to the oils help to balance the acidity of the soap. I know that sulfur is good for some skin types. I use it myself but I have never worked with it. So DeeAnna you have a very logical and scientific point. S + H2O does equal sulfuric acid! Hopefully someone on this forum has worked with it. :)

I might suggest doing hot process or rebatch soap and mixing the sulfur in after saponification is over with. In any case, if you're looking for scent only, I'm going to bet a little will go a long ways.

I found a soap that looked nice on Etsy and asked my question.

PapaBearSpa said to:

Add sulfur powder to your melted oil then stir to blend as much as possible, let oils cool then mix lye water. Hope this helps only about 1 to 1.25 tablespoons of sulfur per 32 ozs of oils is enough.

Latest posts

Back