Suggestions for Having Labels Printed & Design Help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLasz

Reaction score
Good Morning My Fellow Soapy Friends!
I am at that stage where I have been printing my labels myself but now need to graduate to the next level of having them printed professionally. Could also use some design help. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get this done without losing my shirt? I have been looking at different options but all are so expensive! I'm willing to put the money out, but I'm just curious as to what others do...

Hmmm. Yes, good point. I guess I'm thinking my printer isn't good enough. I did buy a laser color printer for this purpose but maybe I just don't have the right labels. I'll have to investigate further.
Thank you!!!

So meaning you buy you're blank labels from online labels?
Must be, then you print them at home.
Thanks for the feedback!!!

The problem with having labels printed is the high cost per label of short runs. To get a decent price, you have to print a lot of labels for a pile of dough. That's okay until you find a mistake. So many ways to make a mistake. Misspellings, ingredients out of order, or missing something. Is it compliant? Is the weight still accurate? You find yourself not making necessary recipe changes because you can't change the label.

I use a 1 1/2 in. wide band that I wrap around the soap the long way, and glue-stick together. I print my logo, the description, and the required weight on the front. The ingredients are on the back along with the required business name and location. On one edge I print the description again so the soaps can be packed on a shelf tighter and still identified. On the remaining edge I print the UPC barcode. I cut the shrink-wrap so it leaves this end open for easier scanning and smelling.

Five bands will fit on a letter sized sheet (landscape) of whatever kind of paper that you want. No need for expensive stick-on labels. Print only what you need at any given time. Make changes at will. Nominal up front costs.

Get a free graphic program like Gimp (gimp.org). Invest the time to learn only enough to do what you need to. Your return will be outstanding.

I do the same as Shunt, Way to many scents and oils combinations for me. My daughter used to have labels, actually stickers printed from Print Runner. For our lotion labels she would list the main ingredients with a clause of what else it could contain. Most of her labels were designed by her using Pic Monkey, but we did have a graphic artist that designed some of our graphics for very little cost. I do not know how she found him but I do know it was online and he did graphics on the side, his 5yr daughter even helped him a few times! It was nice because he signed over full rights to the graphics, so they belong to us. One graphic I love is my little soap cuppy holding a beer stein for my beer soap labels.

She found having stickers instead of actual labels made to be more cost effective. They are glossy and water proof. I still have them make lotion labels.

Attachments

• Beer Cuppie.png
    Beer Cuppie.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 17
I also buy blank labels from onlinelabels.com and print them myself. I buy full size sticky sheets and have made templates in Pages (mac) for each type of product I package. I sit down with a nice beverage and create the batch label as soon as I'm finished making the product, altering any ingredients necessary while I make batch notes in my soap notebook. It's a nice post-cleanup ritual for me, and it keeps me from procrastinating and then dreading the packaging process. In the past I have used maestro and avery software and they worked fine.

I use online labels also. I looked into having them print my labels for me but it was $16 per sheet.

Thank you so much everyone! I have lots of things to consider, but I like the idea of the cigar band... Now just to design. I just got a professional logo made so maybe I will create a label and post it for you all to see to get feedback?
Thank you again!!!

I use Online Labels, both printing my own and having them ring, depending on the product. Their weather proof labels are wonderful. Cost decreases significantly with quantity so I have them print the basic label so no smudging or ink running and then I print the scent labels to add on.

Thank you so much everyone! I have lots of things to consider, but I like the idea of the cigar band... Now just to design. I just got a professional logo made so maybe I will create a label and post it for you all to see to get feedback?
Thank you again!!!

I went to Fiverr.com and found a graphic artist that would design my logo for me. For $15 I got the logo, stationary logo, web logo, social media logo, and business card logo. He did 5 designs for me with unlimited changes. All I had to do was write a description of what I was wanting and he came up with it. I was absolutely blown away with what he was able to do for me. I would recommend Fiverr.com to anyone needing graphic arts stuff done. Prices vary and there are so many people willing to do the work you get a huge selection of choices and can choose how much you want to spend.

I used Fiverr for my logo as well. I had a friend design my logo (hand drawing) and had it converted to a clean copy. Unfortunately the person who did mine wasn't as good about getting all the changes I wanted on it and I finally gave up with that person. It's on my to do list to go back to Fiverr and find a different person to get the changes I want done.

I used Fiverr for my logo as well. I had a friend design my logo (hand drawing) and had it converted to a clean copy. Unfortunately the person who did mine wasn't as good about getting all the changes I wanted on it and I finally gave up with that person. It's on my to do list to go back to Fiverr and find a different person to get the changes I want done.

I did have one person do up a set of logos on Fiverr for me, but when we decided to change from "Candles and Gifts" and just go with "MKLonestar Handcrafted", I needed it redone. I had found the first person hard to work with (guess that's what you get for $5), so I we chose to pay a little more and found someone who could take the first logo and use it to make the visions I had for the new one reality. Now, I just have to take all those files and put them to use by actually getting everything set up on the Web (I have a URL, but never set up an actual website), get the business cards made, decide on packaging/labels (I keep flipflopping on this right now), and get the social media pages done. Then, I could actually start putting all the graphic designers hard work to use.

I use Microsoft Publisher because I can get more tweaking opposed to using Avery
I am using stick on labels now and would like to try bands. Is there a template in MS Publisher for that? Or the every software? Any special paper to use?
Thanks,
Ronda

Back