Suggestions for duping this “Winter Berry” scent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would love to be able to dupe a scent called “Winter Berry” that is used to scent lotion, liquid kitchen soap and counter top spray products sold by Williams Sonoma. Here’s the description:

Pomegranate and orange mingle with the distinctive sweetness of black currant and warm cinnamon and clove for an unmistakable Christmas scent. Scented with pomegranate, orange, spice and other premium essential oils and essences.

I’ve thought about trying create the scent for a cp soap for the holidays. Does anyone know of an FO that sounds like the blend above? As I recall, based on a gift set of the products I received 5 years ago, the notes were spicy, orange, and a berry fruit, like the smell of merlot wine, but not floral at all. The line was discontinued for some time, but it looks like they brought it back. I may have to splurge and buy some!

ETA -has anyone tried these fragrances?

RE Merlot
NG Pomegranate
NG Holiday Pomegranate
WSP Pomegranate and Sweet Orange

For cinnamon and clove, am I better off with an FO or an EO?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you might have to blend something. FWIW, I really like Blood Orange and Goji Berry (WSP). Currant is a hard scent to find. Sweet Cakes Red Currant (Votivo type) I remember liking, but haven't had it for a long time. I did try a currant from NG and it disappointed big time. Weak OOB and nothing by end of cure.
Delhi Junction from Nurture is really nice, but might have more notes in it than you are looking for. It's pricey too.

I haven't tried this myself, but have had good luck with Fragrance Buddy. https://www.fragrancebuddy.com/pomegrante_blackberryfragrance.aspx

I'll keep thinking...

I gave up on the idea of finding and blending single notes and ordered Pomegranate and Black Currant, Arabian Spice, Cranberry Fig, Bergamot Black Tea and Orange from BB. I’m hoping that I get most of the notes I’m looking for with some combination of above. Duping the spice and orange notes shouldn’t be all that difficult, but I’m less confident about getting the dark berry, Merlot-ish without sweet notes.

@dibbles I really appreciate your help with all my FO queries!

For cinnamon and clove, am I better off with an FO or an EO?
From my earliest days of fragrance blending I've made up a batch of a cin/clove essential oil blend to keep on the shelf until needed. It's a "heater" so use with a light touch.
Mix
1 part Clove Bud EO
3 parts Cinnamon Bark EO
then add 1 part of this to the blend. Adjust according to your nose. ;)

I wish I could be more help on the other notes. :(

ETA: Try googling "Winterberry" -- a few sources came up. :)

From my earliest days of fragrance blending I've made up a batch of a cin/clove essential oil blend to keep on the shelf until needed. It's a "heater" so use with a light touch.
Mix
1 part Clove Bud EO
3 parts Cinnamon Bark EO
then add 1 part of this to the blend. Adjust according to your nose. ;)

I wish I could be more help on the other notes. :(
I will look for those the next time I order EOs. When I made my pumpkin soap a week or two ago, I realized that I didn’t have any fall and winter type scents except Christmas tree, which wouldn’t do for pumpkin soap. As a test, I made quite a nice tincture using cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in vodka. I’ve made something similar in the past for winter martinis :). I evaporated off the alcohol and added a small amount of the remaining liquid to my pumpkin soap, along with a little white ginger and amber FO and a small amount of ginger EO. So far, the soap smells really nice and the test piece is not at all irritating. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the scent holds through to Thanksgiving!

I gave up on the idea of finding and blending single notes and ordered Pomegranate and Black Currant, Arabian Spice, Cranberry Fig, Bergamot Black Tea and Orange from BB. I’m hoping that I get most of the notes I’m looking for with some combination of above. Duping the spice and orange notes shouldn’t be all that difficult, but I’m less confident about getting the dark berry, Merlot-ish without sweet notes.

@dibbles I really appreciate your help with all my FO queries!
Well, I am a FOHO. And an enabler.

Back