Suggestions for an ambitious first timer.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtSluggo

Reaction score
So, I am getting ready for my first attempt at solo soapmaking (Did a basic version of cold process as a chemistry demo several times about 10 years ago). I know that because of family and work schedules my attempts may be farther between than I would like. However, in a couple of weeks, I am going to have the house to myself for about 4 days. I really want to try more than one project during that time just to get some experience in.

My plans so far are a very basic, no color, no fragrance cold process soap and a hot process shaving soap with KOH. Ultimately, I have three goals in learning to make soap (so far at least). First, I want to find a recipe that will be good for my families sensitive(ish) skin, second I want to have a shaving soap recipe that is worth sharing, and finally I would like to have enough experience to occasionally make the good smelling, good looking soaps that can be good gifts. The first two don't seem daunting to me so I would like to try them while I have time. As far as the last one, fragrance, color, and design technique all scare me a little right now in addition to not knowing where to start.

Is it crazy to try two different things without knowing how my first turns out? Anything interesting or fun I should try if I find that the first two things aren't disasters and I have extra time in the week? Any advice that I don't know that I need? One side note, several things that I read suggests people try melt and pour first before CP or HP soap. The reason I am skipping this advice is two fold, first melt and pour doesn't seem to offer me the things I want in making my own soap, and all of the chemistry involved in "real" soap making is one of the things that interests me the most.

Thanks! All the advice so far has been super helpful.

Is it crazy to try two different things without knowing how my first turns out?

Might be, but I'm crazy in a similar direction. My second ever batch of soap was a made from scratch glycerin soap. It's on the rack curing, but it looks okay so far. I'm planning on doing a LOT more experimenting with made from scratch MP, I really like the transparent/translucent look. And making MP yourself actually involves more chemistry than simply making the soap does. I use this guide by Curious Soapmaker, it gives ratio ranges for the solvents that make soap clear. You can make your base soap to any recipe you like.

One side note, several things that I read suggests people try melt and pour first before CP or HP soap.

Speaking for myself, I only tried m&p first because my introduction to soap making was walking into Michael's and buying a clearance kit on a whim. I then looked into what else I could do with the kit and discovered CP.

M&P is in no way a necessary stepping stone. It's simpler but in the long run you need different techniques for the really cool stuff.

As to your other questions...
If you haven't already, read the sticky threads in the beginner forum. Lots of good stuff there with reminders for all the safety stuff (because we can all use the safety first reminder). If you don't feel that you've found what you're looking for there, most online suppliers have blogs or a section specifically for recipes. I read Soap Queen and tend to suggest her blog posts a lot. She has some baby recipes that might be gentle enough for what you're looking for. I know Wholesale Supplies Plus has a ton of recipes, but I don't think there are a ton of CP (they're focus tends to be quick starting your soap business rather than making from scratch). Magestic Mountain Sage is another good one, they are often suggested for herbs/essential oils.

I hav not jumped down the shaving soap hole yet but there are a few recent threads on it floating around

Last edited:
If you haven't already, read the sticky threads in the beginner forum. Lots of good stuff there with reminders for all the safety stuff (because we can all use the safety first reminder).

I have to restrain myself from doing the traditional mad scientist cackle every time I kit up in my safety gear. Seriously- safety goggles, elbow length rubber gloves, heavy apron... it's a classic mad scientist look.

Any advice on what I don't know I don't know? (paraphrasing, here) :)

Well, you have some experience in a chem lab, it sounds like and for some reason you did several demos making soap in the chem lab. That sounds like a fun class. We never made soap when I took chemistry in college, but then I was a nursing major, so perhaps there are different focuses depending on your major. Or maybe it was high school where you worked. My soaping instructor said she occassionally does soapmaking demos in HS chemistry classes, so maybe it's a thing there. (Did not take chem in HS myself.)

Anyway, you have some background, but for me I always find I need a refresher if I've been away from something for a long time. So have you watched any soapmaking videos? There are so many out on youtube that can give you loads of ideas for fun things to do once you've done your two goal projects.

But, beware of what you see on youtube. Some soapers do their demos with some unsafe practices without even realizing it. Lye solution mixing in glass containers is one of those unsafe practices. Granted in a chem lab, you probably used Borosilicate glass, but most home soap makers don't have access to such thermal resistant glassware. Pyrex in North America is not borosilicate glass so when you see soapers on youtube using Pyrex to mix their lye solution, it is not a safe practice. The lye etches the glass and eventually it will shatter, not safe if you think about the day it shatters it's full of hot lye solution.

As far as the rest of the personal protective equipment, if you were a chem teacher or lab assistant or whatever it was you did for those demos, I am guessing you are familiar already.

It's great that you plan a simple non-colored and non-scented soap first. IMO that's the best way to start for a beginner, but even so, many beginners jump right into color and fragrance right off the bat. The other thing that is so tempting is to make too many changes to a recipe at once, trying to improve on it, but then not knowing what of those many changes was the success and what was not. So I would say, if you want to make a change with the next CP batch, just make one change. Maybe a natural colorant OR a different oil. But you probably already know all this if you have chemistry background, so forgive me for stating the obvious.

Maybe for the next CP batch try a very simple swirl. An in-the-pot swirl is very simple and doesn't require a lot of extra time, so I think it's a good way to start with swirls. Or just do a full single color soap and do a swirl the next time out.

Just a few thoughts.

Since bar soap and shaving soap are two completely different things, I don't think it's crazy to try them both. And if you have extra time, go ahead and try a third.

Do you already have fragrance to use or a colorant? If you do, I'd go with adding that to the mix. If you don't want to use something you might already have for a colorant and have to purchase both, I'd go with trying a fragrance. Whole Foods, The Vitamin Shoppe, etc. sell small bottles of essential oils. While not the most cost effective way to buy them, it is a way to try them out. EOs are generally well behaved. Avoid florals (ylang, geranium) and spice (cinnamon, clove) as they will accelerate, and citrus won't stick. But lemongrass, mint, lavender and others are well behaved and aren't too pricey. Be sure to check the usage rate for mint - too much can be problematic for some. I'd rather use a lovely, plain, good smelling soap than an unscented fancy colored one, but that is just my personal preference.

I agree with Earlene about the swirl. An in-the-pot swirl was my first, and it is a good technique to start with. Watch a couple of ITP videos on YouTube and go for it. I truly love cutting a swirled loaf to see what is inside.

My 14 year old son wanted to give soapmaking a shot. Bless his heart, he has seen me in my prep mode of watching a million videos, reading books and this site before my each of my soaping days..."oh, here we go, mom's making soap again".

So, I made him watch all four of Soap Queen's videos first. He has a real eye for color, so he picked out some of my micas next, got all of our ingredients in "mise en place" and he suited up for safety and we got to it. He did a simple recipe of lard, CO, OO and castor using "in the pot swirl technique" with blue, purple and pink and it was GORGEOUS. One of my favorite soaps so far.

It was quite an undertaking. One project over the weekend was enough for both of us. He was able to successfully make soap and get his creativity on though and it was good :) AND we had fun doing it.

sethsoapcut.JPG

Last edited:
@ OP it's near bedtime for me so I can't find the monster shaving soap thread for you. I just can't seem to remember thread name. But this is a long thread, too.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=435794

@ ibct1969
Lovely soap! Your son did a great job! I think one on one teaching soap plus it's your son so you know him well, thus the success. Otherwise, I might have issue with a teenager help doing soap. ( besides mixing color and give a little swirl ) then again, I'm not a parent yet, so kids that age might be mature enough to take order and be cautious about lye.

So, I am getting ready for my first attempt at solo soapmaking (Did a basic version of cold process as a chemistry demo several times about 10 years ago). I know that because of family and work schedules my attempts may be farther between than I would like. However, in a couple of weeks, I am going to have the house to myself for about 4 days. I really want to try more than one project during that time just to get some experience in.

My plans so far are a very basic, no color, no fragrance cold process soap and a hot process shaving soap with KOH. Ultimately, I have three goals in learning to make soap (so far at least). First, I want to find a recipe that will be good for my families sensitive(ish) skin, second I want to have a shaving soap recipe that is worth sharing, and finally I would like to have enough experience to occasionally make the good smelling, good looking soaps that can be good gifts. The first two don't seem daunting to me so I would like to try them while I have time. As far as the last one, fragrance, color, and design technique all scare me a little right now in addition to not knowing where to start.

Is it crazy to try two different things without knowing how my first turns out? Anything interesting or fun I should try if I find that the first two things aren't disasters and I have extra time in the week? Any advice that I don't know that I need? One side note, several things that I read suggests people try melt and pour first before CP or HP soap. The reason I am skipping this advice is two fold, first melt and pour doesn't seem to offer me the things I want in making my own soap, and all of the chemistry involved in "real" soap making is one of the things that interests me the most.

Thanks! All the advice so far has been super helpful.

Best advice I received when I started soaping:

Take safety precautions-always wear goggles and gloves, know what to do in case of a spill.

Make super simple recipes first--- no color, no fragrance, so that you know what is supposed to happen and can learn about the process.

Tweak your recipe slightly next batch and see which one you like better, only making small changes and still no color/fragrance until you can establish what you like and want from your soap. For example, I now know that I am a lardy and lard is a major ingredient in all my soap. I've tried other recipes with little/no lard and I just don't like it. But if I hadn't experimented first, I probably would not have known it was lard that I liked, I would just be guessing.

Also, some fragrance oils (not sure if all do, but I know two of mine have) will melt plastic, so make sure when/if you add fragrance oil, you measure in glass---- I knew this, but a couple weeks ago I forgot and poured it into a disposable solo cup and wound up wasting the fragrance oil--- and it was all I had of that scent and really, really wanted to try it!

Have fun!!! I really enjoy making soap and I feel like it is wonderful for my skin. Personally, I am one of those people that feel like the more simple the better. I make some soap with fragrance oil and also some additives (honey, sugar, charcoal, salt ect...), but basically I have a recipe I love and stick to it because it is so good for my skin. I'm not a real big artistic person and pretty soap isn't my thing either---my mind just doesn't work that way. But whatever YOU enjoy, do it and have fun with it. There are so many creative things you can do with soap!

Thanks for all the advice! I am super excited so I have already been doing a lot of the research that all of you have suggested. I have probably ready most of the first 15 pages of the beginners and lye based soap sections. I have watched quite a few youtube videos including The Soap Queen ones. I'll post my planned recipes here before I actually try them.

I am less worried about lye safety than just messing up and wasting other ingredients. As a reference, I have an undergraduate degree in professional chemistry, and am much more comfortable with lab equipment than even kitchen equipment (it is much easier to find out what lab grade stuff is actually made of). The "soap making" demos I did years ago were part of a Boy Scout chemistry merit badge presentation. I did all the Acid/Base presentations, one of which was a simple saponification. If I remember right it was probably a 100% olive oil soap. The lab coordinator at the college we were at kept the products of that demonstration, I realize now that we were probably making castile soap for her. Of course we also did all of the things you aren't supposed to do because they look cool.

Back