Suggestions for a good base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard1232

Reaction score
My soaping obsession started out with a craft store M&P kit. It was fine, but as you know the quality of the base is meh. In the end I got frustrated and deemed MP too trying of my patience and moved onto HP, then CP, then LS, because, you know, obsession... Anyway, I love the beauty of many of the MP soaps I've seen and would love to try again, but I've love some suggestions for bases. I feel like this question has probably been answered before, so if anyone could point me in the direction of a similar thread, that would be just as awesome. I really need to figure out how to use the search function more efficiently.

I think it kind of depends on what you want it for. I am pretty much talking about clear MP after this, which is what I always used (except for swirls) and continue to do. Home made MP just never gets as clear as the mftrd bases, the clarity even varies b/w those. For regular soaps, I use/d SFIC clear bases I just thought they had the fewest amount of additives in any MP base. I bought the extra hard SFIC from Wisteria Lane in big logs b/c I liked the hardness, and WL was cheaper for me than anyone else in those amounts (but I live in CA where they are located, so shipping was probably good.) If I wanted a super clear base for, eg, making crystalline soaps, I used WSP extra clear.

I've tried Stephenson's, WSP Signature and Premium and I always come back to the SFIC bases. Love them all.

Latest posts

Back