Suggested soap recipe for a person with dry skin from thyroid problems?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Mountain Soaps

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to make a soap for my aunt who has extreme dry skin from thyroid issues. I just wanted to see what you would suggest before I take a hack at it based on my own research. So far for the oils I've come across apricot, avocado, evening primrose, jojoba, olive oil, then I thought about adding emu and or rose hip seed oil. Then for essential oils I've considered Roman and German chamomile, helichrysum, jasmine, lavender, myrrh, rose, yarrow, calendula, and palmarosa. Thank you all in advance for your help!

I honestly would formulate a gentle soap from basic ingredients and formulate a lotion or balm that features the premium oils and EOs.

Don't waste your expensive chamomiles, helichysum, etc. on soap -- most of the EOs are going to go down the drain before they have a chance to do any good.

Soap with a boatload of fancy oils doesn't do its job any better than soaps that are simple but well crafted. You don't get moisturizing from soap like you can from a leave on product, so treat the dry skin by cleaning it gently and then moisturize and protect with a lotion/balm.

I started making soap because of my thyroid issues. I had really bad dry, flaky, itchy skin before my thyroid was regulated. Someone suggested I try Goat Milk soap and after a couple of months I really saw a difference. That's when I decided to try making it myself.

I personally like a recipe using goats milk with lard, rice bran oil, some olive oil. I add a little castor oil as well and about 10% coconut. Lately I've been adding 10% babassu oil. My skin has improved tremendously. That said, I've also regulated my thyroid w/ medication as well. But I think the soap has really helped my skin.

I have extreme dry skin from Sjögren's syndrome. I wouldn't bother to waste my money on all of those expensive oils. My standard recipe is olive oil/lard/coconut oil/castor oil at a rate of 40/40/15/5 (SF at 8%). Since I've started using my home made soap, my skin has improved 1,000%! I won't use commercial soap any more unless I'm out and about, and I do notice a difference when I wash my hands at restaurants and other places. I also love a good 100% lard bar. I need to make a batch of that.

Others may chime in and tell you their opinions, which is perfectly fine, but I think you should make two small (half pound each) test batches for your aunt. One that is 100% lard and the other with the recipe I listed. Let them cure for a full six weeks. Then let her try them out for a few weeks each to see if either of them (or both) have any effect on her skin. Ultimately, only she will be able to determine what will work for her skin.

I also love my 100% coconut oil soap with 25% salt and 20% SF. That makes my skin feel squeaky clean but well moisturized.

Good luck and I hope you find the perfect formula for your aunt's skin.

Thank you all, I will use these great tips. What I normally do is pretty close to this already, I just wanted to see what you suggested! Thank you!

I have extreme dry skin from Sjögren's syndrome. I wouldn't bother to waste my money on all of those expensive oils. My standard recipe is olive oil/lard/coconut oil/castor oil at a rate of 40/40/15/5 (SF at 8%). Since I've started using my home made soap, my skin has improved 1,000%! I won't use commercial soap any more unless I'm out and about, and I do notice a difference when I wash my hands at restaurants and other places. I also love a good 100% lard bar. I need to make a batch of that.

Others may chime in and tell you their opinions, which is perfectly fine, but I think you should make two small (half pound each) test batches for your aunt. One that is 100% lard and the other with the recipe I listed. Let them cure for a full six weeks. Then let her try them out for a few weeks each to see if either of them (or both) have any effect on her skin. Ultimately, only she will be able to determine what will work for her skin.

I also love my 100% coconut oil soap with 25% salt and 20% SF. That makes my skin feel squeaky clean but well moisturized.

Good luck and I hope you find the perfect formula for your aunt's skin.

I wouldn't even begin to know to how to work with salt! But that sounds so interesting! Thank you for sharing your recipe. Now when you say lard, your saying animal fat? Or just plain ol crisco? I've never done crisco, that would be interesting. I do animal fat all the time, but have not found it to be hydrating for me, but that could be that there are essential oils in it oriented for my husband. Anyway, please clarify what you mean about lard? Once again thank you!

I see where dictionary. Com says lard is pig fat, so I'm assuming the animal fat (deer, elk, and bear) that I have would work just as well?

I see where dictionary. Com says lard is pig fat, so I'm assuming the animal fat (deer, elk, and bear) that I have would work just as well?
They do work as well, they are generally referred to as tallow though. Lard is from pigs, tallow is usually beef (and other ungulates at least). I'm rendering some deer fat right now!

Not all animal fats are the same. Lard is strictly pig fat. Tallow can be from many different animals-cows, bears, deer, etc. Each different oil must be identified correctly in the lye calculator.

Crisco is NOT lard (especially if you are using the term as a generic term for shortening). It can be a combination of palm and tallow or other ingredients. You must read the label carefully, and choose the correct product on the lye calculator.

I would not make less than a 1 lb (500 g) batch of soap. The impact very small errors in weights has on the final product is magnified in batches smaller than 1 lb.

I have very dry skin due to climate. The recipe that makes my skin the happiest in the winter is:

Lard: 54%
Castor: 5%
CO: 8%
PKO: 8%
OO: 20%
Shea Butter: 5%

SF @ 7%
Water: Full Goat Milk Substitution or 1/2 GM and 1/2 CM
Additives: Collodial Oatmeal

If you don't have PKO handy, just put that back into CO. If you don't have shea handy, put the amount back into lard.

You should be able to find lard at a grocery store... it often comes in buckets or bars. If you have a King Scooper nearby, they carry it. My local Safeway doesn't though. Walmart normally does.

Latest posts

Back