Sugarcraft in soap dough?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tara_H

Mad scientist
Reaction score
One of my other hobbies is making sugarcraft flowers, but I only tend to do it if I have a fancy cake to make, and that doesn't happen all that often.

I've started wondering if it would be possible to do something similar with soap dough? I haven't used it at all before so I'm not very familiar with the consistency...

Here are some roses I made when I was doing my sister's wedding cake, to illustrate what I'd like to replicate.
DSC00385.JPG

One of my other hobbies is making sugarcraft flowers, but I only tend to do it if I have a fancy cake to make, and that doesn't happen all that often.

I've started wondering if it would be possible to do something similar with soap dough? I haven't used it at all before so I'm not very familiar with the consistency...

Here are some roses I made when I was doing my sister's wedding cake, to illustrate what I'd like to replicate.
View attachment 54718

These are gorgeous! There are Soapers who are extremely talented with piping and I have seen some stunning piped roses. There are also people who make them from soap dough. I don’t think I could ever have the patience to do it myself. Do some internet searches for soap dough roses and you will find some YouTube videos.

These are gorgeous! There are Soapers who are extremely talented with piping and I have seen some stunning piped roses. There are also people who make them from soap dough. I don’t think I could ever have the patience to do it myself. Do some internet searches for soap dough roses and you will find some YouTube videos.
Thanks!

I'm actually right in the middle of researching now, I've just found a free recipe from sorcery soap which looks like it should come out a similar consistency to what I'm used to working with, in which case the techniques I'm familiar with will hopefully still apply :) Particularly the way she uses the little bag of cornstarch in her videos is exactly what I would normally do, so that gives me hope!

Look up I Dream In Soap on you tube. Lisa uses a fair bit of soap dough, and does some piping too.
Oh very cool, thanks! She's certainly good at doing piped flowers, I'm just looking at this one here! 'Stolen' soap design. Lisa makes a mess. Cold process soap making. Soap piping - YouTube. That's some amazing technique. Personally I find my hands cramp up something terrible with piping so it's not my most favourite way of doing things ;)

This is the kind of technique I'm hoping will be possible with soap dough: A Beginner's Guide to Sugar Flowers - YouTube

I guess the easiest way to find out is to make up a batch and try it out :)

Here's my first attempt - the ombre is so subtle as to be barely noticeable, and they were a little bit rushed, but I think with practice I should be able to get similar results to what I've done in sugar.

IMG_20210317_172538.jpg

This makes me very happy, it's a good excuse to get more flower cutters for different varieties and practice as much as I want. There's a limit to how much cake I can realistically use, but soap is always needed, right? 😄

Latest posts

Back