Sugar water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shouldn't but it could I suppose. Make sure the sugar is dissolved before adding your lye or you will end up with a glob of sugar in the watter.

I add mine straight to the lye water, it does get cloudy but clears up quickly.

The times that I've forgotten to add my sugar, I've dissolved it in a tbsp or so of water and added it to my lye water and it was cloudy until I stirred it in.

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I honestly have never noticed! I usually do 4 batches per soaping session and the first thing I do is measure my distilled water into glass jars for each batch and add my silk. After I arrange all my soapy stuff, I dump the water for the first two batches into my lye pitchers and add my (un-dissolved) sugar first and then my lye. I stir for a few seconds until I feel the heat and then set them aside to cool down (I usually soap around 110-120 degrees). I give them another stir after 10 minutes or so to help dissolve the silk, and I've never noticed the lye water being cloudy...but adding sugar does turn it yellow!
After I make a batch of soap, I repeat the process so I don't have to wait for my lye water to cool down after the first batch. This has worked well for me in order to make the best use of my soaping time!

I make a sugar syrup and add 1 Tbsp ppo when I get emulsification.

Back