sugar vs salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperhounds

Reaction score
I have seen several recommendations for adding sugar or salt to the soap batter at trace. I'm wondering what the difference would be between salt and sugar? do they both create more bubbles or do they each do something different?
Also I have seen recommendations for 1 tsp or 1tbs PPO. Which measurement is preferred?

Actually, they are added to your water/liquid before adding the lye. Making sure they are dissolved before adding them. Sugar will help with bubbles and salt will help with hardness. 1 tsp-1T can be used. Different from person to person.

The only time Ive seen suggestions for adding at trace is salt for that speckled effect, or for a proper salt bar (which needs lots of coconut oil).
Otherwise, like shunt says, sugar for bubbles and salt for hardness - dissolved in the water before the lye.

I think that if you added sugar at trace it would just be a goey mess?

Yes but start with 1 tsp ppo. You can use honey instead of sugar but melt it first and SB it into the oils before you add the lye to make sure it is well incorporated. I use 2 tsp ppo of honey.

Thread shows you a picture of what happens when you add salt 1 tsp ppo to batter at trace:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=58271

Last edited:
Bear in mind that too much salt may cut lather especially in a recipe low in myristic and lauric acid (low cleansing). And too much sugar may increase softness.

I look at additives as an enhancement to an already decent recipe -- they're not a fix for a poor recipe. If you're having trouble with your basic recipe lathering well enough or being hard enough, it might be better to tweak the recipe first to get it as good as possible and then seeing what salt or sugar can contribute to the party.

Ditto what DeeAnna said about tweaking your recipe to get it as good as possible, then you'll have a better idea of how much sugar or salt to add to it in order to improve on things....... because depending on how high you go on the additives with any given formula, you'll eventually reach a point of diminishing returns. For some formulas, that point might be 1 teaspoon ppo, and for others, it might be as high as 2 tablespoons.

My own formulas can take up to 2 tablespoons of sugar ppo without any adverse effects. Too much more than that and my bars start to become soft and spongy.

IrishLass :)

Bear in mind that too much salt may cut lather especially in a recipe low in myristic and lauric acid (low cleansing). And too much sugar may increase softness.

I look at additives as an enhancement to an already decent recipe -- they're not a fix for a poor recipe. If you're having trouble with your basic recipe lathering well enough or being hard enough, it might be better to tweak the recipe first to get it as good as possible and then seeing what salt or sugar can contribute to the party.

I might just have to steal that quote! You stated it perfectly. :)

I've had more bubbles it's seems when I add simple syrup to the oils, before the lye is added. If this is the wrong method, please tell me.

Last edited:
I've had more bubbles it's seems when I add simple syrup to the oils, before the lye is added. If this is the wrong method, please tell me.

simple syrup is less viscous than honey and not as dependent on heat to blend with anything. I think you're fine. Is it the standard simple syrup with 1 part water to 1 part sugar or is it richer, with 1 part water to 2 parts sugar? I'm asking out of curiousity since I like using simple syrups for tea and a stubborn child.

simple syrup is less viscous than honey and not as dependent on heat to blend with anything. I think you're fine. Is it the standard simple syrup with 1 part water to 1 part sugar or is it richer, with 1 part water to 2 parts sugar? I'm asking out of curiousity since I like using simple syrups for tea and a stubborn child.

It is 50/50, I didn't think to make it stronger, will have to try that when I need more. I know for me it is easier than adding to lye pot.

It is 50/50, I didn't think to make it stronger, will have to try that when I need more. I know for me it is easier than adding to lye pot.

Oh no-no, you don't have to try it; it'll just be more sugar in the soap. a 50/50 simple syrup seems to be enough so the richer simple syrup could be reserved for drinks. Ex- making ginger simple syrup, I used a nice piece of ginger, some vanilla because I'm a weirdo, 2c sugar and 1c water. My like to use that syrup with selzter for a gingery gingery-ale type drink.

Back