Sugar type and soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I normally put regular white sugar in my water before adding lye. Lately I have been experimenting with powdered sugar (another story lol)

Somewhat off topic, but I am cleaning out and re-arranging all of my kitchen cabinets atm (you should see my kitchen right now btw lol).

I have this large-ish container of raw brown cane sugar that I bought to rim glasses for drinks for a party last year. I'm trying to destash this sugar without wasting it.

I don't put sugar in my coffee. I actually don't use sugar too much at all. No reason behind it, I just don't lol.

Can I use it in soap instead of white sugar? I mean, I figure that I CAN, but do you think it will affect the color or how much it heats up?

Now that I am looking at my kitchen disaster...I also have karo syrup (clear), and maple syrup that I don't use. I forget why I even. have karo, but I bought the maple for a recipe. Just the smell of maple makes me want to vomit LOL. Wonder if I could use them in soap too??

edit: I am looking at my spice collection that I now have out all over the counters...I have a problem LOL

Last edited:
The raw sugar I'm sure you can use as you would refined white sugar. I don't know if it would affect the color, but I don't think it would cause more heat than regular sugar. If you decide to try it, pour a little bit of batter into a paper cup or something before you add any FO or colorant to see if you can tell a difference. You can use maple syrup for sure, and I would think you could use the Karo as well - just use like you would honey. Watch those for heating. I know Soaping 101 has a YouTube video using maple syrup, molasses and honey, and it shows the discoloration of those. I've never seen Karo used.

I regularly use raw sugar because that's what I bought the last time I bought sugar, and I don't use it much either, other than for soap. I should probably just buy the cheap white stuff next time I'm out! Anyway, there is no discernible difference in the soap color or heating action between the two.

I've used both maple syrup and molasses. Both are serious heaters, and both will turn your soap brown. The maple syrup soap was a light brown, and molasses was DARK brown. The molasses one had a faintly sweet smell that lasted even after months and months of cure. In fact, I have some bars that are almost two years old (it was a HUGE batch for my husband) and they still have that lightly sweet smell.

Never used Karo, but I have some so maybe that's next on the Try List. :)

Latest posts

Back