Sugar to soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to recall @IrishLass dissolves her honey in some warm water and then adds the dissolved honey to the lye solution not the fats. The honey and lye heat up at that point, rather than heat up later on in the soap batter. Again IIRC, she says this method works much nicer than the "add to the fats" method.

@DeeAnna you are correct about IrishLass's method. I made gardner's soap last week and added the honey to it that way. No drama from the honey at all. The lye water turned a bright orange color, but that didn't affect the outcome of the color of the soap.

@DeeAnna you are correct about IrishLass's method. I made gardner's soap last week and added the honey to it that way. No drama from the honey at all. The lye water turned a bright orange color, but that didn't affect the outcome of the color of the soap.

Im assuming it should be added when the lye solution is cool? This is good to know. I’ve used honey a couple times, but have been avoiding it for quite a while and I forgot this tip. Thanks @DeeAnna and @dibbles!

Im assuming it should be added when the lye solution is cool? This is good to know. I’ve used honey a couple times, but have been avoiding it for quite a while and I forgot this tip. Thanks @DeeAnna and @dibbles!
I used MB lye and dissolved the honey in the remaining batch water amount, then added that to the MB lye solution.

I'd say you don't want the lye solution to be smokin' hot, but warm would be okay. Remember you can just add a little of the diluted honey at a time to control the rate of heating.

My recipe includes aloe vera juice for 100% water replacement and coconut milk powder added to the oils. Would sugar add bubbles to my current soap recipe since I already have these two additives in play?

Latest posts

Back