Sugar scrubs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hemp seed oil and any EO that you like. Add sugar until it's thick. Washes off really well. Can use a bit of castor if you like. Oh, you may need to add an antioxidant such as Vit E as Hemp oil is a bit unstable.

I add silica gel ( powedered) to my oils to make them gel, that way they won't seperate or leak.

2oz silica gel
10oz oils (your choice)
8oz sugar (brown, cane, turbano, salt or combo)
fragrance (to taste)
preserve

Silica Gel?

Hi tabitha... just came accross this post. Silica Gel?
As in the little packets of moisture absorbing beads (but in powdered form) that you get in your shoe box/handbags, foods, etc?

Or are you talking about something different?
You've piqued my curiosity!!!!

Yep, that is it. It is intended to absorb moisture. That is why they are in pill bottles & shoe boxes. It will absorb any moisture that may get into the container & keep the product dry.

You can buy it cosmteic grade & it absorbs the moisture (oil). When it absorbs the oil, it turns it to gel which then prevents your scrub from seperating or leaking.

hmm.. where do you get that?
and its okay to put that on your body?

that is so interesting!
I'm goign to check all my labels for this ingredient.. haha
thanks!!

so you use this to make the scrub more..... gelly?
i'm going to have to give this a try for sure!

Oh.. and so can it be said the rule of thumb is that if you're adding sugar, you need a preservative? i've seen lots of recipes for sugar scrubs that don't include preservative... so i wonder about that - and what about salts? I assume as long as you're not adding water, you don't need a perservative.

I've also heard that grapeseed extract ISN'T really a preservative, but lots of websites sell it as a preservative... why is that?

sorry, don't mean to bombard you with questions.... =P
Can I come play at your house? LOL j/k

well double drat. I had a BUNCH of silica gel stuff and couldn't for the life of me figure out why I would want it so I sold it off. NOW you tell me LOL!

(I love my emulsified scrub, but it IS a pain to make)

i was just on that site and they want $18 to ship to Canada, which is more than the product.. lol!

Gotta love shipping charges, eh?
Hmm.. maybe I can find a Canadian supplier so I can try this out =)

OOH! I'm there!
I'm getting ready to watch Grey's Anatomy!

I was going to try some new recipes but now i guess I'm looking for silica gel first.... lol

Yeesh.
so i finally got to trying a sugar scrub today.
then realized I totally must have bought the wrong thing!
I looked on the packet and it says silica microsphere powder, not silica gel powder. now they must be different things because I ended up with a sloppy mess.. lol

so, now I've used up 1/2 my soy oil and part of my bag of sugar... haha
its a runny sloppy mess, but I can still use it in the shower... lol

all is not lost! lol

I just came across this post. I have been fighting with Sugar Scrubs for the last several days. My question is... Does the Silica Gel have sort of the same effect as E-wax or stearic Acid and Cetyl Alcohol? meaning does it keep it all bound together. The problem I am having is the scrubs with these ingredients seems to feel greasy not oily but like thick grease after I use it. Once I towel off it's fine but can't imagine anyone wanting to feel greased, so I'm trying to figure out how to fix the issue but I'm not real sure what is causing it. Any ideas???
TIA

nae65 - I have one of Tabithas sugar scrubs (I love it!!) and the texture of it is a little different than a typical emulsified scrub using e-wax. I make mine with e-wax and the consistency is more like lip balm with sugar mixed in. Tabithas is more..... jelly? I don't know how to explain it, but I like it a lot!

I've tried a lot of sugar scrubs in the last few months, and I find that I get the "greasy, slick" feel with all of them before I dry off. You can always go for one of those foaming scrubs that essentially have soap in them that washes away the greasy feel, but other than those, I haven't come across any that haven't left me feeling a little oily before towelling off. :\

artisan soaps said:
wxz123 said:
polysorbate 20 or 80 will do the magic!

I find even a tiny amount morphs any scent I add, and blooms horribly - shows exactly why preservatives are needed in scrubs!

I'm not getting the connection between an emulsifier and why preservatives are needed (tho I agree, of course preserve your scrub!). Did I miss something?

Back