Sugar Scrub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
I'm trying to formulate a sugar scrub and it seems every recipe I've looked at is very different. Which honestly is a bit frustrating. But first I need to decide which type of sugar scrub I want to make. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Since I live in a very hot and humid environment, it MUST be emulsified or the sugar will melt. I'm trying to decide if I should make just an emulsified sugar scrub or a foaming emulsified sugar scrub. What do you think?

Here is an easy scrub recipe:
M & P Base--12.1 oz
Sweet Almond Oil---1.9 oz
Turbinado Sugar--10.60 (I use Epsom Salts)
2 tsp FO
Coloring of your choice

Melt M&P base. Add sweet almond oil, color and fragrance. Mix well. Add Turbinado sugar or (Epsom salts), and mix thoroughly. Scoop into sterile containers and tap on table to take out air

I think it depends on what you or your customers want. The emulsified scrubs don’t have any cleansing properties, where the foaming emulsified scrubs do. At least that has been my experience with them.

The "sugar" doesn't melt it is the base the sugar is dispersed in that melts and causes the sugar to sink to the bottom.

A simple sugar scrub is just oils and sugar - this type is hard to rinse and causes greasiness in the shower/bath. They leave a layer oil on the skin.

The emulsified type just use oils/butters and add an emulsifier which helps the base turn into a lotion when water is added. These are much easier to rinse and shouldn't leave too much greasiness in the shower bath.

The foaming type are often based on melt and pour and are the easiest to rinse but don't really leave much oil on the skin.

My preference is the emulsified type but agree they aren't the best product to sell in summer.

Here is an easy scrub recipe:
M & P Base--12.1 oz
Sweet Almond Oil---1.9 oz
Turbinado Sugar--10.60 (I use Epsom Salts)
2 tsp FO
Coloring of your choice

Melt M&P base. Add sweet almond oil, color and fragrance. Mix well. Add Turbinado sugar or (Epsom salts), and mix thoroughly. Scoop into sterile containers and tap on table to take out air
do you now alternative to Turbinado Sugar?

I have been on a sugar scrub kick, and found these two recipe formulations make firm emulsified scrub bases. In fact, they are downright hard here during the winter, even when stored in the bathroom. My climate is just about the opposite of yours, though, so take this with a grain of salt. Or sugar. ;)

The stearic acid in the WSP base really adds some body. The type of wax and butter you use makes a big difference too:
Wholesale Supplies Plus Sugar Scrub Guide

I prefer this one, because it's a little creamier, but it could also be adjusted with different butters.
Elements Bath and Body Sugar Scrub

Back