Sugar Scrub Info

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBandCW

Reaction score
I have a client who wants body scrub. I'm thinking of sugar with a little dendritic salt added to the fo. Thoughts?:confused:

I've never used dendritic salt, but just ordered some to try it out.

I make an emulsified sugar scrub that has Ewax and beeswax along with other oils and butter. I've not used salt so can't speak to that. My customers love the scrub. So do I

This is my absolute favorite recipe... although I use beeswax instead of soy since that's what I have on hand.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-UeGwflC0[/ame]

I checked my "soap stock" and found ewax, liquid germall plus and with my shea butter and various oils I will start experimenting! You all gave me a great start! I need to make this now, as I have just ordered the jars for it......:? (cart before the horse)

Last edited:
This is my absolute favorite recipe... although I use beeswax instead of soy since that's what I have on hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-UeGwflC0
Snappyllama (love the name by the way) thanks for this post. My interests are soap and body Butter and they keep me busy
Learning! But I have a lady that asked for a scrub so I told her give me a week to look into it. This recipe looks great. The only thing I don't have is the soft and silky emulsifier wax. I have beeswax and PKO, can either substitute? I'm willing to wait and order the soft and silky if that is an absolute, because I want her to be happy with what I come up with. Thanks

Snappyllama (love the name by the way) thanks for this post. My interests are soap and body Butter and they keep me busy
Learning! But I have a lady that asked for a scrub so I told her give me a week to look into it. This recipe looks great. The only thing I don't have is the soft and silky emulsifier wax. I have beeswax and PKO, can either substitute? I'm willing to wait and order the soft and silky if that is an absolute, because I want her to be happy with what I come up with. Thanks

Thanks!

Do you have any other emulsifiers handy? The Silky Wax is actually a combination of Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20. That's what allows the oils to change into a lotion when you rub it on your hands.

Thanks!

Do you have any other emulsifiers handy? The Silky Wax is actually a combination of Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20. That's what allows the oils to change into a lotion when you rub it on your hands.

Don't have either, so I will go ahead and order the
Silky stuff. Thanks so much!

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with this. I finally have my soft and silky e-wax to emulsify my sugar scrub, I'm going to make spicy pinecones. Looking at the recipe today, I can not find my soy wax (in my newly straightened up soap area). I'm sure my bees wax won't work, but would palm kernel flakes make a decent substitute? I really don't want to drive thirty minutes to get soy wax for a one time salt scrub. A lady asked for some and I said sure. But if soy wax is crucial I can get some if I must. Thanks

I make an emulsified sugar scrub that has Ewax and beeswax along with other oils and butter. I've not used salt so can't speak to that. My customers love the scrub. So do I

I just saw you use beeswax, would you mind telling me at what percentage I could use it?

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with this. I finally have my soft and silky e-wax to emulsify my sugar scrub, I'm going to make spicy pinecones. Looking at the recipe today, I can not find my soy wax (in my newly straightened up soap area). I'm sure my bees wax won't work, but would palm kernel flakes make a decent substitute? I really don't want to drive thirty minutes to get soy wax for a one time salt scrub. A lady asked for some and I said sure. But if soy wax is crucial I can get some if I must. Thanks

You can use beeswax, just start with a bit less as beeswax is harder than soy wax. I use beeswax in mine. Will take a bit of testing to get it to the consistency you like.

You can use beeswax, just start with a bit less as beeswax is harder than soy wax. I use beeswax in mine. Will take a bit of testing to get it to the consistency you like.[/QUOTE

Thanks, I really am not looking to make this again anytime soon. So I guess I can use beeswax at half the amount for soy wax. Does that sound about right? I'm going to have to look into scrubs now, it's about the only thing I haven't tried making.

I'm not sure as I've not ever used soy wax. I would start at half if it were me. Maybe a bit more than half.
Thanks so much shunt. I panicked! So now I'm going to step back and study sugar scrubs before I even try and make it. I don't think a day or two wait will hurt. In fact I'm reading about a cream sugar scrub recipe.
I should have known better than trying to make something I know nothing about. Again thank you.

I hesitate to add more cooks to this soup pot, but here goes -- I started with Arianne Arsenault's emulsified scrub that includes beeswax. When I got done tweaking, my scrub recipe didn't include any wax at all.

The key to keeping the scrub from being a gloppy mess is to use a fat that is solid at room temperature such as lard, tallow, palm, cocoa butter, etc. in place of the wax. I included a preservative, just to be on the safe side, and used some clay (pink clay or french green) purely for color. Here's the recipe:

Base --
liquid oil ... 46.7%
solid fat ... 31.2%
e-wax ... 17.3% (can vary up or down 1-2% depending on the skin feel you want)
fragrance ... 3.0% (may vary from 1% to 3%)
clay ... 1.3% (used for color)
preservative ... 0.5%

Add sugar to the base at 150% of the base weight. (Example: 100 g base + 150 g sugar)

Last edited:
I hesitate to add more cooks to this soup pot, but here goes -- I started with Arianne Arsenault's emulsified scrub that includes beeswax. When I got done tweaking, my scrub recipe didn't include any wax at all.

Actually spent hours on YouTube, Google and then landed on swiftcraftmonkey and have pages and pages of notes. Having enough understanding of each ingredient I believe I can formulate a recipe and tweak it from there. Also have substitutions for ingredients that she uses on swift that I don't have. I appreciate your added information on no waxes and using the butters to pull the ingredients together, i hadn't read that anywhere and will be using your method, thanks.

Your question about using palm kernel flakes as a sub for the beeswax or soy wax is what sparked my memory -- thanks for the "spark!"

I like the use of the solid fat vs. a wax because the fat may be more valuable as a skin conditioner. Wax is occlusive, meaning it forms a barrier that reduces moisture loss from the skin. That's a desirable quality especially on dry or irritated skin, but something like palm or tallow is also soothing and emollient (lubricates) as well as being occlusive.

The green clay and a manly scent turns this into a hard working hand scrub. Some or all of the sugar could be replaced with pumice for a scrub better suited for greasy, dirty hands. The pink clay and a feminine or soft unisex scent makes it a nice facial scrub.

Last edited:
Back