Sugar scrub cubes oils question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
After reading the threads I could find here, and elsewhere on the web, I have a question...
I'd like to try both MP and CP recipes, and everything I've read says to use a light oil...grapeseed, sweet almond, or avocado. Can I use olive oil instead? My skin seems to like it the best...but is there a reason it wouldn't work?
Also, while I'm asking... I see recipes using different sugars. I don't want to color them, so if I use raw sugar, with a vanilla scent, will that be too scrubby? Or does it depend on my skin?
Thanks!!

If that's the oil that your skin likes best, then go for it! There's no reason why it won't work, olive oil (neat, and in blends) has been used in cosmetic treatments for centuries.

The lighter oils are probably suggested because they are easier to rinse off and/or absorb more quickly.

The sugar is more dependant on the granule size than it is on the amount of processing (to a certain extent). Different people do like different amounts of scrubbiness. It is possible to get raw castor sugar if you want a less scrubby version.

After reading the threads I could find here, and elsewhere on the web, I have a question...
I'd like to try both MP and CP recipes, and everything I've read says to use a light oil...grapeseed, sweet almond, or avocado. Can I use olive oil instead? My skin seems to like it the best...but is there a reason it wouldn't work?
Also, while I'm asking... I see recipes using different sugars. I don't want to color them, so if I use raw sugar, with a vanilla scent, will that be too scrubby? Or does it depend on my skin?
Thanks!!

I agree with S'fig -- whatever oil you want to use in your scrubs is what you should use, as long as it has a decent shelf life (and olive wins that contest over grapeseed). I have even used some tallow or lard in various batches of my emulsifying sugar scrub. Be careful that the sugar you use isn't overly scrubby. I normally use regular table sugar and it's okay, but I have scratched my face by using a little more enthusiasm than was good for my skin. Might want to do a test batch and see what you think before you commit to making a large amount.

A tip learned the hard way -- Go real easy on the scent until you know what works best. A little fragrance goes a long ways when scenting facial products. I'd start with no more than 0.5% fragrance by weight based on the weight of the base product (not including the sugar).

Back