Sugar scrub, changed ingredients, strange outcome!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocker

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I finally ventured out into the world of scrubs!! I made my first batch, which was from a recipe that I found on youtube and it came out perfect!

Ingredients:
shea butter,
Ewax
stearic acid
beeswax
sweet almond oil
jojoba oil
preservative
fragrance
sugar 70%
epsom salt 30%

I thoroughly enjoyed it and used it all. I made another batch, this time, I thought I would save money and use sunflower oil in place of the almond oil. I also tried a different kind of emulsifier, called "ecomulse" which is approved for organic products by lotioncrafter. The ingredients: glyceryl stearate, cetearyl alcohol, and sodium stearyl lactylate.

Then, I changed the sugar/epsom mix to 100% epsom salt.

The results felt quite different. All felt well until I went to rinse it off. I got a gummy type of feeling, which I did not feel in the original. My hands felt kind of sticky. I had to soap a couple of times to get it off my hands. Now, my hands feel kind of dry, whereas the original mix left my hands feeling moisturized and I did not feel the need to soap it off.

So, what is it that made the huge diff? Is sunflower a heavier oil than the almond? Could the emulsifier have made the diff? Or was it the epsom salt?

Would love to have some feedback and thanks so much in advance!!

Reviews of "Ecomulse' state that it can be a little draggy and dry. The Herbarie suggests using emollients and esters to boost moisturizing.

Reviews of "Ecomulse' state that it can be a little draggy and dry. The Herbarie suggests using emollients and esters to boost moisturizing.

Thank you! I had no idea that there would be such a difference in feel between emulsifiers! I am too new to this to know what emollients and esters to add to make it nice.

Do you know of anything more natural than Ewax that would have the same feel as Ewax?

Susan of the Swiftcraftymonkey blog states that ritamulse (which is the same as ecomulse) may not work well with cationic ingredients. I suggest reading up on scrubs and the ingredients at this link:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2013/10/pumpkin-seed-oil-creating-emulsified.html

Here is a scrub that I like. It is easy to make and leaves my skin feeling smooth and soft
48% melted M&P base
9% sweet almond oil
42% Epsom Salts
1% essential or fragrance oil

Melt M&P base. Add sweet almond oil, color and fragrance. Mix well. Add Epsom Salts and mix thoroughly. Scoop into sterile containers and tap on table to take out air bubbles.

This is so simple, but I love it as a scrub.

Latest posts

Back