Sugar... it's a sweet thing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
So I'm planning a batch for this weekend and I happen to have an unopened bag of powdered sugar. I always add sugar to my liquid and wanted to know if a tablespoon of granulated sugar is the same as a tablespoon of powdered sugar or if this is one of those times when a measure of one is less or more than the measure of another. I'm thinking a tablespoon of powdered might actually be more than a tablespoon of granulated since the granulated particles allow for air gaps. Or have I just had waaaay too much coffee today and I'm just overthinking this???

Yep. This is something I'm aware of and I don't believe it to be an issue. I've seen/heard of corn starch and tapioca starch being used to anchor scents with no ill effects. However, this is me and my luck is unique to say the least so we'll see what happens.

Thanks!

Powdered sugar in the US usually has corn starch added as well.

wearytraveler, thanks for the reminder about powdered sugar! I recently made a buttercream frosting for my son's birthday carrot cake cheesecake and found an older package of powdered sugar hiding behind other goodies in my pantry. I'm definitely going to bring it to my soaping room!

I like to use all additives by weight so I found 1 Tbsp granulated sugar weighs 13 grams. I'll just decide on the gram weight I want to use in my soap and add enough powdered sugar to get that weight. :)

Glad my little question helped! I made a batch this afternoon and used 4 TBSP powdered sugar for a 40 oz (oil weight) batch and there was some stubborn powder that didn't dissolve. I left it for a few hours but it just wouldn't dissolve in the aloe vera juice. I went ahead and added the lye and the heat finally got it all dissolved. The batch is out of the oven and waiting for un-molding and cutting tomorrow.

wearytraveler, thanks for the reminder about powdered sugar! I recently made a buttercream frosting for my son's birthday carrot cake cheesecake and found an older package of powdered sugar hiding behind other goodies in my pantry. I'm definitely going to bring it to my soaping room!

I like to use all additives by weight so I found 1 Tbsp granulated sugar weighs 13 grams. I'll just decide on the gram weight I want to use in my soap and add enough powdered sugar to get that weight. :)

Latest posts

Back