Sugar added ... WOW!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethkaylyn

Reaction score
I just wanted to let anyone know that loves lather and hasn't included sugar in their recipe... it's a must!
I tried it for the first time and I was amazed!!!! Lots of lather
Thanks for the recommendations

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! My soap lathers, but not a bunch. I've been hesitant to add any other ingredients, but you've inspired me to try sugar in my recipe!

You're welcome !
I am also hesitant to try new things not knowing how it will turn out. Lol
I'm so glad I included the sugar and it worked perfectly!!
This forum is extremely helpful

I'll have to put honey on my list of new things to try.

I'm thinking I may up it to 2 tablespoons of sugar per pound and decrease the amount of castor. All this time I thought castor would be the only lather maker.

Aloe juice (like you buy in the pharmacy at a big box store) also adds natural sugars and ups lather. you can use it as a 1:1 replacement for water

Aloe juice (like you buy in the pharmacy at a big box store) also adds natural sugars and ups lather. you can use it as a 1:1 replacement for water

Thanks kchaystack!
I didn't know that about aloe juice. Very interesting

I'll have to put honey on my list of new things to try.

I'm thinking I may up it to 2 tablespoons of sugar per pound and decrease the amount of castor. All this time I thought castor would be the only lather maker.

Don't use that much honey. I think you will find it will overheat and discolour your soap.
I am not sure if that much sugar would overheat your soap.

Haha Steve

I'm all about the lard...Lol....
my main ingredient in my recipe

Also, in my experience, honey smells funky when it mixes with the lye. The smell dissipates, but it's not very nice. However, I don't use commercial honey, so that may play a part in the odor.

Definitely add to the water before the lye. It makes a kinda gooey mess in the lye water if you try it the other way around.
I'm sure it has to do with the lye water wanting to bond with some part of the sugar. It is interesting if you ever do it but I'll bet you only do it once.
I may have made that mistake...
Honey will react with the lye too so it goes in first. Being a simple sugar it reacts quickly so use less honey and watch for volcanoes.
Aloe Vera juice is an easy way to add sugar too. just replace half of your recipes water with it and soap on.

Yes, make sure the sugar is fully dissolved before adding the lye. I use aloe juice 100% for a water replacement and haven't had any issues. I've found that the easiest way for me to use honey is to dissolve it in a little water reserved from the lye solution, and add it to the oils. Honey is awesome in soap :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Back