Suds - or lack thereof

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I successfully produced my first batch of liquid soap using this recipe:
70% Olive Oil 20% Coconut Oil, 10% Castor Oil

14 oz. Olive Oil
4 oz. Coconut Oil
2 oz. Castor Oil
4 oz. Glycerin (subtracted from the initial water amount - helps speed up the process of getting to the cooking stage).

8 oz. Distilled water (12 oz. liquid needed, the other 4 oz. is the glycerin added to the oils (this is optional and you can remove the glycerin and use 12 ounces of Distilled water instead).

It seems to clean well but no suds. Hmm.....how do I make it

How much did you dilute the paste, Melinda? If the soap is overly concentrated so it has a thick texture, the soap might not lather well on your skin until it gets diluted with more water.

Also did you add salt or any ingredients other than those you listed in your post? People use salt to thicken liquid soap, but it can inhibit lather.

How much did you dilute the paste, Melinda? If the soap is overly concentrated so it has a thick texture, the soap might not lather well on your skin until it gets diluted with more water.

Also did you add salt or any ingredients other than those you listed in your post? People use salt to thicken liquid soap, but it can inhibit lather.
Aha! No, I did not use any salt but and it is a big but, I think my soap is too thick. What do you think about also using simple syrup just as I do in my bar soaps to help with bubbles. I so appreciate you taking the time to respond!

I suppose you could include sugar when making the soap. I'd add sugar before saponification, not after the soap is done -- I'm not sure when you were thinking of adding sugar, so I'll throw that in, just in case.

But honestly, adding sugar might not be all that helpful if you don't make other adjustments. The usual problem of low lather in liquid soap is that the soap is way too concentrated as it comes out of the dispenser AND people use too much soap per wash. Even with sugar or more coconut (the other common "fix" for this problem), the lather WON'T develop well until the soap is diluted enough with water so bubbles can form.

A person either needs to make a less concentrated product so it will lather easier without more dilution -- or use less per wash -- or understand the soap has to be diluted more when it's on the skin or washcloth before it can build suds.

Last edited:
I suppose you could include sugar when making the soap. I'd add sugar before saponification, not after the soap is done -- I'm not sure when you were thinking of adding sugar, so I'll throw that in, just in case.

But honestly, adding sugar might not be all that helpful if you don't make other adjustments. The usual problem of low lather in liquid soap is that the soap is way too concentrated as it comes out of the dispenser AND people use too much soap per wash. Even with sugar or more coconut (the other common "fix" for this problem), the lather WON'T develop well until the soap is diluted enough with water so bubbles can form.

A person either needs to make a less concentrated product so it will lather easier without more dilution -- or use less per wash -- or understand the soap has to be diluted more when it's on the skin or washcloth before it can build suds.
I also add the sugar prior to saponification. I will make a new batch and make sure it is less concentrated. I think I became impatient and paid for it in the end!

By "less concentrated" I mean the soap after it's diluted, not the soap batter during saponification. I'm not sure I was being clear on that.

Back