Suddenly ashy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J, they were definitely not glycerine rivers - ie; the interiors of the bars are actually quite beautiful, not flecky or grainy at all. Also, being the hyper type I can't take pics b/c I planed them all right away/as soon as they were hard b/c I find it harder to plane/bevel when they get past a certain cure point.

I was just shocked to see the ash so consistently and in such great amounts in the slab soaps - I made about 7 or 8 batches in a row for last month's challenge - b/c I so rarely get it otherwise, except w/salt/brine soaps, but I don't really care about it there, it actually looks fine in those to me. But in the slabs it really just kind of made the top ugly, not (eg) rustic.

Some I sprayed w/alcohol, some I didn't, most I CPOP'd, some I didn't, it didn't seem to make a difference. The only common factor was the slab. And my formula, but I use that all the time in logs, w/o ash. But at least it is a pretty easy fix.

Ally it never occurred to me to clean up the soaps and now I'm wondering if the dullness of the colors is actually a very fine ashy coating. Hmmmm. Now I'm gonna be cleaning my soap (what an oxymoron that is LOL) to see what they look like.

I too embrace the ash...I dont get it often, but when I do I just leave it..that's what the soap wanted to do so I just roll with it :)

Gigi you can get the alcohol at Wally-World in the pharmacy section.

Jstar as soon as I can hitch a ride I'll grab some. :)

Vodka? You naughty soaper, getting your poor little soaps drunk LOL.

Seriously though, why vodka and not alcohol?

Gigisiguenza you have me rollin! It all started when... (hehehe...), I ran out of alcohol and happened to have a bottle (a full one, by the way, lol; of vodka.) Tried it, and worked nicely. It gave a nice gloss to the soap and have been using it as needed since. As mentioned by another soaper previously, it may be due to the sugars in it. I don't drink the stuff (ew! Hahaha) but my soaps seem to really enjoy those late night spritzes!

Back