Sudden request, unsure what to do.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPunch

Reaction score
So i logged on to Facebook this morning after posting a picture of my last seasonal soap this year to find this message from my best friends mother.

"Your soap looked lovely and what a great gift idea. Would you be willing to share your recipe knowing that I would like to do that too? Please???"

While flattered i'm not sure how to respond. I don't keep my base recipe too closely guarded, its a fairly basic mix of oils that decided i liked after playing with the numbers.

What makes me hesitate is the soap itself is a tri coloured swirl with a mica oil swirled top. Having someone who to my knowledge never made soap, attempt that, and then give it away as a gift, has me a bit worried.

Soap in question: http://i.imgur.com/WLZp8jJ.jpg

If you are happy to share your oil mix, would you be comfortable giving her the oil percentages you use, and links to places she can learn more (soap queen, soaping 101 or a book you recommend)? I think how I would respond in the same situation depends on our relationship and the personality of the person asking.., if I thought they were interested in learning to make CP soap or if they would give up after finding out how "hard" it is. (Well... Not hard... But a bit of research first.)
OR... Politely decline, saying it's taken a while to get your recipe perfected, and here are some resources she may like to check out.

That's awkward and I really feel for you. If I was in your position, I would point her toward some websites with some beginner "newbie" recipes, since she's never tried it out before. You can phrase it like you're doing her a favor: "I started out with this really easy recipe that produces an amazing soap. I'd highly recommend trying this one, since some of the oils that I use can be finicky if you don't have a lot of experience with them." Or something to that effect. I know Bramble Berry had some really great beginner recipes on their Soap Queen website.

Good luck! I think that if you point her toward some beginner resources, she'll be so busy getting hooked that she won't worry about your specific recipe. ;-)

That's awkward and I really feel for you. If I was in your position, I would point her toward some websites with some beginner "newbie" recipes, since she's never tried it out before. You can phrase it like you're doing her a favor: "I started out with this really easy recipe that produces an amazing soap. I'd highly recommend trying this one, since some of the oils that I use can be finicky if you don't have a lot of experience with them." Or something to that effect. I know Bramble Berry had some really great beginner recipes on their Soap Queen website.

Good luck! I think that if you point her toward some beginner resources, she'll be so busy getting hooked that she won't worry about your specific recipe. ;-)

I might have to go with that. I diffidently don't want to turn anyone off of soaping, but at the same time, I don't want someone to go for too much too soon, and not know the basics. If a lye heavy bar went out as a gift from someone who i got 'started' i would feel really horrible.

It's a tough position to be in. The best thing you can do is to point her to resources that will teach her to make soap safely and responsibly (while still having lots of fun, of course). :)

And don't forget to tell her about the 4-6 week cure period that can't be rushed. Not to mention that she should not give soap away until she has had at least 3 months experience. Then point her to MP available at her local craft store and suggest that that would be a better idea for this Christmas.

My guess is she really doesn't understand what is involved in making soap. I'd definitely point her in the direction of a few videos (all mentioned above) and stress the safety aspect if she is going to try CP/HP. Also, maybe mention that doing swirls successfully takes practice and she might be better off trying a plain soap, or one color ITP swirl for her first attempt. The other issue is, if she is wanting to make these for gifts (maybe for this Christmas?) there might not be enough time to get all the equipment, lye, fragrance, etc. for the soap to be cured and ready to give.

Maybe suggest MP for now. She might be just as happy with that, and it is something she could easily have ready for gifting during the holidays. She can be creative with fragrance and a pretty mold.

I think it's reasonable, if you're comfortable, to provide her with your recipe in percentages. That way, you're helping her out with part of the process, but leaving enough unsaid to guide her to do her own research and discover what soapmaking is all about. Suggest places to get info, like here, or names of books or websites.

Soap design is such a personal thing... you can be honest and say you're not able to give a detailed set of instructions on how to copy your swirling, which, btw, is beautiful :) Rather, she can add her own decorative touch to her soaps when she's ready.

Gorgeous soap! If a supplier like BB sells a kit with instructions to make something like that, I'd send her that link. And maybe something like, "This is a bit complicated, so if you are interested in making soap, I don't recommend this as your first attempt." Or something.

Is she local? Would you be willing to show her how to do it, maybe ask her reimburse you for materials?

Sharing Soap Recipes

"I don't share my soap recipes with anyone" will suffice

Thanks for all the advice. She seemed more interested in the concept as a whole than making that specific loaf of soap. I gave her some links to Soap Queen's four part cold process video, and some other bloggy type websites. She does a lot of crafty homemade stuff, so I think she'll be fine doing her own research and beginning her soaping adventures ~.

I might i finally have someone who i can talk soap details with without their eyes glazing over :3

Thanks for all the advice. She seemed more interested in the concept as a whole than making that specific loaf of soap. I gave her some links to Soap Queen's four part cold process video, and some other bloggy type websites. She does a lot of crafty homemade stuff, so I think she'll be fine doing her own research and beginning her soaping adventures ~.

I might i finally have someone who i can talk soap details with without their eyes glazing over :3

That would be nice!

She sounds as if she's interested in the process rather than just your recipe.
I hope it goes well for you.

Latest posts

Back