Success!!!... so far

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I'm not very good with freezer paper on the best of days. 2 part silicone...well, let's just not go there...
DH made my molds, so they're all the same, but not a standard size mold by any means...lol...
I was at Dollar Tree a couple weeks ago, and saw those flexible cutting mats that had no color, so I bought a few packs. Fast forward to yesterday...I had forgotten I bought them...story of my life these days :)
Cut them to fit my molds, was a pain, but got it done, and used duct tape to keep them together. Then for the test...
It worked!! Nice sharp corners, no wrinkles, flat ends, and I never have to wrestle freezer paper again!!!! :mrgreen:

Congrats! ;) Is your mat durable and can stand high heat and alkaline? There's also silicone mat ( used for fondant or cakes) if your mat can't stand the beat up.

For a while, I used some shelf lining plastic for lining molds and it worked fine when the tape was new. But after reusing the tape, the adhesive part of it would get soft and sticky and the liner would sort of fall apart as I took it off the finished soap after a couple/three uses.

So I would suggest you watch for the effect of gelling soap on your DIY liners. Perhaps my soap got hotter than yours will, but it's something to watch for. I hate sticky messy tape adhesive; it's just such a pain to have to deal with.

It seems to be...so far, anyway... I tend to soap on the cooler side, so a few more tests are in order. I did make sure it doesn't pick up any scent, so even if I have to cut new ones every so often, it's still worth it to me not to have to use freezer paper :)

Congrats! ;) Is your mat durable and can stand high heat and alkaline? There's also silicone mat ( used for fondant or cakes) if your mat can't stand the beat up.

The duct tape seems to be working. But I've only done the second batch in them this morning, so time will tell. I may have to use a different type of tape on the sides, one a little easier to remove to get the soap out.
I tend to soap on the cooler side, but I'll look for that, thank you. I didn't think about the tape getting gross.

For a while, I used some shelf lining plastic for lining molds and it worked fine when the tape was new. But after reusing the tape, the adhesive part of it would get soft and sticky and the liner would sort of fall apart as I took it off the finished soap after a couple/three uses.

So I would suggest you watch for the effect of gelling soap on your DIY liners. Perhaps my soap got hotter than yours will, but it's something to watch for. I hate sticky messy tape adhesive; it's just such a pain to have to deal with.

Latest posts

Back