Substitutions ..making it vegan?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjuconnfan

Reaction score
I found a HP recipe I want to try but want it vegan and palm Crisco free. It has Crisco 4%, tallow12%, palm kernel flakes 3%,palm 5%. I checked a chart for substitutes and thought I would increase my cocoa and shea butters by 2% each and eliminate the Crisco. Looking at the chart not sure what to do next...so much subbing ...Suggestions for other substitutes for the palms. Or maybe I will scrap this and start with a different one. Why do some have so much tallow , palm and Crisco oils? Just wanting to understand. Thanks.

Palm, tallow or lard are one of the basic building blocks, the "holy trinity" of soaping.
Palm/Tallow/Lard
Olive
Coconut

These are tried and true oils and there are very good reasons why we use them. But that doesn't mean you can't make good soap without them.

I like this:

50% shea butter
20% coconut
5% castor
25% sunflower (rice bran or olive would probably work here, or some combination)
2% superfat

Lard, palm and tallow are good b/c they make a hard bar of soap that is gentle and they don't interfere with lather. (BTW, Palm Kernel is a palm product. Same fruit, different part.) There just aren't that many oils that make a hard bar of soap.

Palm, tallow or lard are one of the basic building blocks, the "holy trinity" of soaping.
Palm/Tallow/Lard
Olive
Coconut

These are tried and true oils and there are very good reasons why we use them. But that doesn't mean you can't make good soap without them.

I like this:

50% shea butter
20% coconut
5% castor
25% sunflower (rice bran or olive would probably work here, or some combination)
2% superfat

Lard, palm and tallow are good b/c they make a hard bar of soap that is gentle and they don't interfere with lather. (BTW, Palm Kernel is a palm product. Same fruit, different part.) There just aren't that many oils that make a hard bar of soap.
Thank you so much for explaining.... you jarred my memory of reading it somewhere.in this journey..yes, I understand why now. . The palm kernels...do they dissolve or give it texture? I appreciate your sharing the percents you like.

Back