Substituting liquids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon1227

Reaction score
I currently masterbatch lye at a 1:1 concentration and when adding the remaining liquid I usually use goats milk or goats kefir. I was wondering if juiced for example carrots could I use that for my remaining liquid? (I actually want to try passion fruit because I have an arbor that produces a ton of fruit and thought it might be kind of cool in soap) Is there anything else I should consider....

Some fruit juices will overheat in lye solution, so you might want to either substitute the puree for part of the liquid and add at light trace or freeze the juice before adding the lye to it.

Some fruit juices will overheat in lye solution, so you might want to either add the passion fruit at light trace or freeze the juice before adding the lye to it.
Can I use it as as a substitution for the additional liquid needed to be added to my 1:1 lye solution?

I often use other liquids - have used pureed (cooked) carrot, aloe juice, pureed apple, mashed banana very recently, oat milk etc. The only ones i've added with the oils is the mashed banana, and coconut milk - all others I mix with the lye, but it's usually frozen into ice cubes.
ETA: oh, and pureed lychees

I was going to mix it in with my oils before adding the lye.
Thanks for your help!

That's how I add mine. I have done carrot, pumpkin, and avocado this way. That's also how I do powdered milks. I mix the powder with a little water and then blend it into my oils. Then, I am not dealing with frozen chunks or ice baths.

If it's a water based puree (carrot, apple, aloe puree etc) then I use it in place of my liquid - but not as the full amount of my liquid because it's too gluggy otherwise. Except for aloe - I use that as the full water amount.
If it's an oil based additive, or a very starchy additive such as oat milk, coconut milk, mashed banana, avocado etc then i treat it a little differently:
Starches - oat milk and mashed banana I add to the oils but discount the amount used off the water in the lye solution
Oils - avocado and coconut milk are part oil and part water, so i calculate it as contributing to both my water AND oil content, but I add it to the oils and don't mix it with the lye solution. For example for coconut milk I might add, say 150g, but I calculate 75g towards the oils and 75g towards the water. I reduce my water by the 75g to compensate AND I reduce my superfat in the lye calculator to 2 or 3% to compensate for the additional fat.

Latest posts

Back