Substitute for castor oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I've been wanting to make soap on my days off for a week or more but I'm down to nothing on castor oil. I've been using it to ensure stable lather and bubble production, to balance the high lard n OO content in my recipes.

Any suggestions on what to sub to accomplish the same thing?

All suggestions and feedback appreciated. TIA :)

ETA I'm looking for alternatives for future recipes, not just immediately, so I can see what the difference is between them :)

Last edited:
Susie - yes, and I will likely be getting some tomorrow, but the shortage got me thinking about what other options there were that could provide the same benefits, so I turned to the font of knowledge that is SMF :)

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

Sugar is also a bubble booster, but of a different kind. A compliment rather than a replacement.

There is no oil that I would think would do what castor does, other than castor. So then we are talking SL and other additives, which would then be in many ways more annoying than just having castor

Sugar is also a bubble booster, but of a different kind. A compliment rather than a replacement.

There is no oil that I would think would do what castor does, other than castor. So then we are talking SL and other additives, which would then be in many ways more annoying than just having castor

Well that's good to know, I'm glad I asked. I really thought there was more than just castor provide those elements. And, I'm sorry, but what is SL?

Yep- castor is in a league of it's own. To me, there is nothing that can substitute for it.

IrishLass :)

Well drats LOL. I better keep it in stock then moving forward :)

You will still get a decent lather using no castor in a well balanced recipe, granted it will not lather as well, but lather it will. In mine soap I make for peacock swirls I do not use castor oil because it speeds trace more than you would think, and my soap still lathers with the addition of 1T sugar ppo.

I have a 65% lard, 15% coconut oil and 20% sweet almond oil (5% SF and 1 TBS sugar ppo) recipe that lathers surprisingly well. I made it as a one off to test colors and didn't have any castor, now its a soap I always have on hand. I don't know why its so nice, but everyone has complimented its lather. And that's how I learned castor isn't critical for some recipes :)

increase your coconut oil while increasing SuperFat

I have a 65% lard, 15% coconut oil and 20% sweet almond oil (5% SF and 1 TBS sugar ppo) recipe that lathers surprisingly well. I made it as a one off to test colors and didn't have any castor, now its a soap I always have on hand. I don't know why its so nice, but everyone has complimented its lather. And that's how I learned castor isn't critical for some recipes :)
I have a similiar but use Avocado. I do not up my coconut just for the sake of lather. Upping superfat will also cut lather. I tend to superfat in the 3%-4% range

Back