Subbing Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcrafty

Reaction score
Does anyone know what oils can be subbed for Emu. I use to use Emu oil a lot in different things but it has become so expensive. I have started subbing Meadowfoam oil with pumpkin seed oil. It has done very nice. Any tips on the emu will be very appreciated. Judy

hmmm - I don't work animal oils ...I know alot of people love emu ...I think I would just compare all the specs of the emu to some other oil options & pick one that comes close ...

It depends on what properties you're hoping to get into your soap. In our soapmaker program, you can find, under the 'view' menu, a comparison chart of oils, showing you at a glance which oils are similar.

Emu is known as a healing oil for many skin conditions. It has properties similar to cottonseed, and you can get similar properties from lard, but without the so-called 'healing' benefits.

I am using in a lotion. I used put the emu in for the healing properties but, I can reformulate the recipe without it. It was my recipe and I just formulated with some emu. I still want the lotion to be a really nice lotion for dry skin. I have never used the squalane but it doesn't sound like it wouldn't be a good pic for lotion as it is used more for conditioner, emollients and carrier oil in cosmetic formulations. Thanks all so much for trying to help. Judy

justcrafty said:
I am using in a lotion. I used put the emu in for the healing properties but, I can reformulate the recipe without it. It was my recipe and I just formulated with some emu. I still want the lotion to be a really nice lotion for dry skin. I have never used the squalane but it doesn't sound like it wouldn't be a good pic for lotion as it is used more for conditioner, emollients and carrier oil in cosmetic formulations. Thanks all so much for trying to help. Judy

oh my no ...squalane is wonderful in lotion - it has enormous benefits & adds to any lotion formula ...please try it!

Boosts Cell Regeneration and Oxygenation.
Helps prevent formation of “age spots”. ·
Heals chapped/cracked Skin.
Antibacterial Properties.
Permeates at a rate of 2mm per second
Helps prevent UV damage to skin.
Helps skin to retain moisture.
Helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Imparts relief to dehydrated and ultra-sensitive skin.
Softens the most rough-textured skin and leaves no oily residue.
Helpful in counteracting conditions of eczema, psoriasis, and post-operative skin.
Highly Stable

( this from TDF)

Latest posts

Back