Subbed avocado oil for shea butter in salt bars, ugh, me no likee

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paillo

Reaction score
So granted it's young soap, only five weeks old, but noticeable differences from my salt bars using shea butter.

Lather is nice but no more so than my shea butter version. But I find it gritty, thin feeling and not so emollient as my shea bars at the same age.

75 percent coconut oil
15 percent shea or avocado
10 percent castor

Superfat 20 percent, coconut milk/distilled water, the usual pink clay, sugar, silk I always use, Pink Himalayan salt 100 percent of coconut oil.

Anyone have any comparisons between the two oils? Thinking I will go back to shea unless a long cure makes a difference.

I've tried both and I personally don't care for either in a salt bar lol. I find that both cut the lather down and now use HO sunflower oil in the place. Much creamier IMO

I don't care for avocado or shea in my salt bars either. I prefer 20% olive oil but I am testing HO safflower. I also don't bother using castor.

Huh. Mine are 80% CO 20% AO and I love them that's how I did it the first time and I can't remember if I stuck with the avocado or not, I think I did. I'll have to try Shea sometime to compare.

I can't speak for those, but I did try almond oil and sub coconut milk for water in some salt bar experiments, and went right back to 15% olive oil and water.

I'm new to salt bars. I've seen so many people post about how they *only* like XYZ oil with coconut oil in their salt bars that I just went ahead and made 3 micro batches - one with OO, one with Avo, and one with Shea. I'm curious to see what will be the winner in my household. :)

Latest posts

Back