Sub for Palm Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you want it all veggie, I would think Crisco and possibly upping your conditioning oils a bit! If you don't object to AF's then add tallow and/or lard.

Paul....:) :wink:

I meant Palm Oil...I have 5 lbs of Palm Kernel oil sitting on my counter!

I can't find coconut oil at any grocery stores here in Alberta...I am kicking myself because we were just in Whitefish, MT two weeks ago and I didn't go to the local Wal-Mart and pick up some coconut oil there!

What is the general consensus on AF's such as tallow & lard being used in soaps? I tend to steer away from their usage, esp. in a face soap, due to the belief that some soapers hold that these fats actually clog the pores. I know they are economical and have been main soap ingredients in the past. Please share your thoughts on this. How could AF clog the pores whereas veg fats don't? Thank you all! :)

I, personally really love a combo of 15% lard and 10% tallow in my soap, been making them with those two animal fats since I started. I live in the Mid-West where beef and pigs are raised and find locally my soaps sell well. On the other hand, I respect vegetarians rights to choose to use only AF free products! :) I do sell more vegetable based soaps on the internet than ones containing AF's. My wife and I, neither one of us have ever had any problems using my AF soaps on our faces, neither has my brother's and sister's teenage children had issues, actually the tee tree soap with lavender helps their completion out! Anyway, I'll get off my soap box and let others state their views. :lol: Main thing with me is;
don't push your opinions off on anyone, as everyone has the right to use or not use AF's in soap. I am also very serious about listing every ingredient in order by weight I use in my bar of soap, that is very important to me!!! :)

Can you give an example of what your label looks like? For right now I only plan my soap to be for family for a gift but if I passed them out to people at work or other non-family I would want to have a label that contained more product information.

kooldad said:
Can you give an example of what your label looks like? For right now I only plan my soap to be for family for a gift but if I passed them out to people at work or other non-family I would want to have a label that contained more product information.

Yup, let me grab my camera and shoot all 4 sides of a salt bar I just did.

Here is what my label looks like:

proof61.jpg

Irena

Well, since you asked me!

These are shrinked wrapped and ready to ship out to Tabitha in the morning.

The fronts
DSCF2102.jpg

The backs
DSCF2104.jpg

Warning on bottom
DSCF2106.jpg

4 labels ready to cut on linnen paper in landscape mode on printer
DSCF2111.jpg

These are not very good, I'll get better ones in the daylight tomorrow.

SoapmakerMan wrote:
Main thing with me is;
don't push your opinions off on anyone, as everyone has the right to use or not use AF's in soap.

Hey.. please explain what you meant by this, I didn't get it. :?:

gbtreasures said:
SoapmakerMan wrote:
Main thing with me is;
don't push your opinions off on anyone, as everyone has the right to use or not use AF's in soap.

Hey.. please explain what you meant by this, I didn't get it. :?:

First of all, you asked what our thoughts were on using animal fats in soap. I obliged MY opinions in my statement above, as you asked for us to do. Some people have very strong opinions one way or the other. I have my own feelings, but I respect what others want or don't want on their skin is up to them, not me. That is why I make both AF soaps and vegetable only soaps and list every ingredient in each bar by weight from the most used to the least used. Some fourms get very testy one way or another. For example. I am on a Yahoo Chat Soap Forum only for those who use animal fats in their soap. If someone disagrees with them, pray and make a fast exit, but it is a AF forum. That is why I said what I said about not pushing my ideas or beliefs on others. A dear friend here at The Soap Makers Forum is a vegetarian who has bought several bars of my AF free soap from me. I totally respect her ideas and lifestyle, and would never push my thinking or personal beliefs on her, no way in hell! That is all I meant, simply, it's a matter of personal choice....no biggie reasoning behind the statement. Hope this clarifies my thinking on the subject. I, personally, as I stated, love tallow and lard in my soap, I think it is a better soap than an all veggie soap, but that is only for me to decide for myself. :D

All Paul means is: It is easy for a bar room brawl to break out on a soap forum, natural vs nearly natural vs synthetic, CP vs M&P, AF vs Veggie, to preserve or not to preserve, etc, etc & for some odd reason there are a lot of superior feeling soapers that think the world is going to stop spinning if they can not convert every last soul to their soap preferance. I feel like screaming sometimes "It's JUST soap". It not medication or food or health care or child care or foreign policy. It is just soap :roll:. I am that veggie by the way & Paul keeps my cabinets stocked w/ delightful all veggie CP :wink: !

It's really no big deal, but thanks for the explanation. SoapmakerMan, I received 4 of your salt bars and I love them! My favorite bar is the honey-oatmeal. I could not take my nose away from it. My skin feels clean and supple. As far as AF and soap go, I don't have issue or preference. I just simply want to use the best thing for my skin. :) and was looking to the forum for wisdom. Good Evening to all!

gbtreasures said:
It's really no big deal, but thanks for the explanation. SoapmakerMan, I received 4 of your salt bars and I love them! My favorite bar is the honey-oatmeal. I could not take my nose away from it. My skin feels clean and supple. As far as AF and soap go, I don't have issue or preference. I just simply want to use the best thing for my skin. :) and was looking to the forum for wisdom. Good Evening to all!

Thanks gbtreasures, I knew you said you liked the salt bars. FYI, the bar you love the best, the OMH that is a CP bar, if you look at the ing. on the back, it has tallow and lard in it at about 22% total for both. I thought I'd mention that. LOL

You are so right! :lol:
Actually, my skin seems to be clearer than it had been before I started using it, so that just goes to show what a good soap it is. Thanks!

gbtreasures said:
You are so right! :lol:
Actually, my skin seems to be clearer than it had been before I started using it, so that just goes to show what a good soap it is. Thanks!

Thank you! That was very kind of you to think my soap is a good bar of soap! It has taken me 2 years and around 50 test recipes to get my favorite recipe that has great numbers!

Paul.... :) :wink:

Back