Stupid question - How long is soap shelf-stable?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

TheBobbiesRSurly

Reaction score
Hi folks!

Me again with a stupid question :p How long (in general) is soap shelf-stable? This is assuming there's no preservatives added to the soap at all.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Well, depending on the soap recipe- it can either last for years and years, or for just a few months. I still have bars that I made 9 or 10 years ago that are still doing great, but I've also made a few batches that went south in under a year because they were poorly formulated.

IrishLass :)

lenarenee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bar soap? Years. And years. Your recipe makes a difference as some oils are more prone to rancidity. I have soap that's almost 3 years olds, and I know some soapers here have soap much older than that.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the others. It depends on your recipe. I have soaps 6 years old and going strong. You just need a good formula that will hold up.

Kamahido

Paladin of Soap
Reaction score
I have soaps that are well over a year old on my self. Just trying to see how long until they do go rancid. Bar soap does not require preservatives.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have found bars of soap tucked away from 2 or 3 years ago and they were OK. I think that using oils with a long shelf life helps.