Stupid Awesome Totally Frustrating Soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
So I made one of very best soaps. Couldn't ask for a better lather and bar feel. Every time I shower with it I get a little blown away. Scent, totally awesome. Problem is I made it by taking all my old soaps of every type shredding and re-batching them. Aside from REALLY general approximations of their content the recipe is unrepeatable. I was looking for something to do and to test some scent combos and wound up with a perfect storm of awesome with a side of frustration.

Total bummer, boyago. You'll have to a save a piece to refresh your scent memory later on. Of course that'll just start the storm frustration all over again....:cry:

I am going to try rebatching a bunch of my shavings tomorrow. I only hope to have as good of an experience you did. Although its a bummer that it can never quite be reproduced. I think it would irritate me to no end if this ended up being my best soap. :(

Total bummer, boyago. You'll have to a save a piece to refresh your scent memory later on. Of course that'll just start the storm frustration all over again....:cry:

Well I have my notes or the scent I used so that I can do.

I am going to try rebatching a bunch of my shavings tomorrow. I only hope to have as good of an experience you did. Although its a bummer that it can never quite be reproduced. I think it would irritate me to no end if this ended up being my best soap. :(

I think it was throwing a couple of shave bars in with the bath soap that made this one so awesome.

Is it anything to do with the scraps lying around for a while and being fully cured. Then when rebatched they are already cured and when used 'first' are really quite old. Or am I havering through a hole in my head:D

So frustrating when that happens!! Use them up VERY slowly :)
I make a rebatch every year of all my trimmings... looks a little weird, but it always comes out so nice, that I briefly consider rebatching as standard way of making all my soap. But, then reality comes swooping back in, ha ha.

Enjoy them!!

Is it anything to do with the scraps lying around for a while and being fully cured. Then when rebatched they are already cured and when used 'first' are really quite old. Or am I havering through a hole in my head:D

I'm sure that's part of it, but the re-batched soap is WAY better than any of the parts that went into it. The majority of what went into it was from a bunch of experiments that I did with infusing oils with herbs. All those soaps were castiles aged almost two years. Some of it was just not great soap, some of it was shave soaps that were new and didn't work very well, so those had allot of stearic and hard fats. I think it was mostly serendipity.

Last edited:
This happened to me today!!! I tried out a soapball from my recent rebatch and it had an AMAZING lather and feel!

Does heating it up a second time make it better? Is that the theory behind triple milling (which I know nothing about)?

It doesn't LOOK better, but it DEFINITELY feels better than the individual soaps that contributed to it.

I feel your pain. Had the same thing happen to me when I was playing around with body butters and using up some scrap amounts of oils and butters. I didn't write anything down and when I used it it was awesome! I was able to replicate the oils and butters but not the percentages. Ugh!

Latest posts

Back