Stuck on the OPW

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ever since the challenge a couple of months back, I've been kinda addicted to the One Pot Wonder. I'm in danger of over using it now and having all my soap look the same. Does any one else have a design style they use often or that is a go-to/default? Describe it and post pics! Here's my OPWs:
(Admin - maybe move to Photo gallery? I'll let you decide)
91316EF9-721B-4ACD-9AB2-7184B64C0558_1_201_a.jpeg5D6DBA39-7AA5-4CF6-87D0-75F848172988_1_201_a.jpeg4F51C83C-4A67-4537-84B7-90E8004893FD_1_201_a.jpeg4A29C062-53E8-49C2-B485-4442ABA2258F_1_201_a.jpegB495DF00-FF49-4CE3-AE8B-46B765A224B2_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Could be worse 😍😍. And, at the very least your legendary glyerin rivers add a unique touch to each bar. OPW is still somewhat more intriguing than the 1000th overdone hanger swirl. I have a particular weakness for the “failed” (too thick trace) ones, like the one at the top left, or @Peachy Clean Soap's butterfly soap.

Lucky you, stuck in May! I haven't even made it out of April yet, my brain is still in Lollipop swirl mode.
lollipop_peace.jpg

Instead of seeing as overusing a design techniques, why not view it as a signature?

For all that I do a lot of 'creative' things (knit, crochet, loom, make soap, bake), I really am not a 'creative' person. When you knit, you follow a pattern and if I can't find the yarn in the pattern and it's more than one yarn, then I go to the yarn store, hand the clerk the pattern and ask them to pick out yarn for me. LOL

The majority of my regular soaps are either single color or two color 'swirls' (either Drop or ITP) and then I do the 'infinity' thing with a chop stick for the top. I don't even add colorant to my GMS. And I'm fine with that and haven't had any complaints from the customers. I do occasionally 'mix it up'...I have a Neapolitan Soap with pink, white and brown layers; Chocolate Espresso is brown with a 'whip cream' top; 1920s Barbershop is a red, white and blue swirl. And since I 'embrace the brown', I will often just add some TD to part of the batter and 'swirl' it. Oooooooooo. LOL

My fall-back design is the in-the-pot-swirl. No 2 ever really look the same and it's so easy.

I should try the OPW (again) since the first one turned out not be actually be a OPW.

Do you do layered drops to get that effect? Some white, some blue, some white etc?

Yes, exactly that, but also varying how high I poured from. This batch, though, was a little looser which made the swirl more whispy. The thicker it is, the bigger the "lava" blobs get.

I read recently that it also became Cheeky Goat’s Soapery favorite technique after she tried it in Amy’s soap challenge club. Your soaps all look unique because of the different color palettes, you have definitely mastered it!

Ever since the challenge a couple of months back, I've been kinda addicted to the One Pot Wonder. I'm in danger of over using it now and having all my soap look the same. Does any one else have a design style they use often or that is a go-to/default?

I haven't been making much soap lately, but today I made two batches of ZNSC using beach water I collected last weekend and as I was making them I realized I was making them both OPW. One batch I did in an Ombre theme (motivated by the August Challenge) but had some trouble telling the difference between the shades so it might be one solid color tomorrow.

Mine may never look as good as yours and @dibbles but I keep trying! 🥰

Latest posts

Back