Stuck in Mexico & can't use lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in México, in a relatively small town, and staying with a Jewish family for a another week or so. I'd offered to give their community a budget friendly workshop on soap making because I really love doing it. I know they don't consume pork, but I didn't think they'd object to having soaps made with lard. Especially when I know how much they enjoy my lard-based soaps. Turns out They don't object, but were worried about the rest of the participants. So I asked about locally available vegetable shortening,and this Inca brand is the only one available it seems.
I did a search on the forum and there was only 1 mention of it, when it used to be beef tallow and palm. Now it's hydrogenated soy, corn and peanut oils.
There's no mention of proportion of which oils are used, and the only nutrition info given that I can think is useful to soaping is the saturated fats/100g:
I'm including a shot of the nutrition label in case anyone can give me any guidance on how I can otherwise use it to plug values into our friendly lye calculator.
If there's no way to use it, or our Wise Ones think that this fat is not a good idea, I'll defer to better heads than mine. I'll tell them that porky is the end all for soapy goodness or I quit.
My brain cells have been on the fritz lately so I can claim that I have a faulty circuit in any case. My host family think I'm a soap guru. Little do they know... 🤪😶‍🌫️🙏🏻✍🏻 Y'all are the brains behind the outfit!

Attachments

• 16566571470991507925040177036926.jpg
    16566571470991507925040177036926.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
If they're listed in that order I guess that's in order of quantities used, as is the labelling norm. But it still doesn't give percentages so it's always going to be a guess. At least you've found a supplier for 'soy wax' in Mexico finally!

At least you've found a supplier for 'soy wax' in Mexico finally!
Yeah, I'm not so sure. I wasn't looking at the label when I wrote the post (brain on the fritz is a real thing right now, ugh), but I believe the hydrogenation is of all the oils, not just the soy. And the order, which I went to check after reading your reply, @KiwiMoose, is: soy, corn and peanut oils.
I wish I could remember where the post was that gave the formula on how to use a fat or oil based on its saturated or unsaturated value. Can anyone point me to it?

The sap values for soy, corn, and peanut are all very close. Hydrogenation doesn't change the sap value. So you can enter the total weight of this shortening as if it's all just regular corn oil (or soy or peanut) and you should get a reasonably accurate weight for the NaOH.

The nutrition label says it's over half saturated fat, and I take that as a good indicator that this shortening has enough saturated fat to be longer lasting and perhaps not quite so prone to rancidity as regular corn/soy/peanut oil would be.

Given what you're wanting to do, I think I'd use this shortening for your demo -- maybe blend it with 20% to 25% coconut oil. It might make a surprisingly nice soap.

If some of the participants are going to not be of the Jewish faith, you could offer an alternative recipe using lard. Again, maybe blend it with 20% to 25% coconut with the rest being lard. Lard has a higher sap value than corn/soy/peanut so it's not a direct substitute -- the NaOH weight will be different. This soap, speaking from experience, can take awhile to be at its best, but it's a nice, gentle bath soap and a simple type to make.

Last edited:
@DeeAnna Thank you SO much for the rescue! Your info was just in time for my host to call her cousin in another town, who was coming to the workshop, to buy enough NaOH to bring with her because apparently this small town doesn't have enough clogged drains to have their own hardware store with plumbing supplies. Easy Off oven cleaner, LOTS, but no drain cleaners or even proper toilet plungers! 🚽😭!
I guess the large amounts of spicy tacos keep THEIR pipes clean. So they can afford to bake lots of flan and cakes. 🤔🎂☕
Anyway, your help was hugely appreciated and I'm now in the process of obtaining Canola, and, maybe, hopefully some extra sugar because I can't get affordable olive or even coconut. 😣 Definitely adding lard as well into the mix. My absolutely FAVORITE fat to play with! 🐖

Just wanted to give an update on the soap workshop. Six ppl showed up, some late, but they all ended up really fascinated by the whole process.
The lard didn't even make an impact! One male was present, he had shown interest the previous day because I'd told him about my experience with how helpful making my own soaps had been in keeping my skin from getting drier from commercial stuff. He drew the cucumber portion of the soap batter, the lucky man.
In all, it went so well!
Thanks again, everyone! I'm so glad to be a member of this group of amazing soapers!!

Back