Stubborn ash won't go away

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash update!

Hi everyone!

So I made a new batch of soap and this one doesn't have a speck of ash. I used distilled water instead of spring water, sprayed with 99% isopropyl alcohol instead of 70% and used a 33% lye concentration instead of 32%. I also soaped warmer than I usually do, at 100F instead of 80-90F and of course the ambient temp was warmer and humidex was at about 60%. I covered in saran wrap, but I've done this before and still gotten ash. I really got the feeling that it was a combination of the temp of the soap and the ambient temp, and a combination of the humidity of the soap and the humidity of the air. Perhaps not such a big difference between the two. I'm going to take note of the humidex from now on . Here's a pic! I'm curious to see if it stays ash less (because I've had soaps develop ash later on). But so far, so good :) Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions!

DSCN0499.jpg

Thanks KristaY!! I made it for an aunt who's giving it as a wedding gift :D So it was a good thing I asked the forum before I made it ;)

Lovely! Perfect time to discover how to avoid it.
I forgot to spray with isopropyl alcohol last batch and I have a light soda ash. I did everything else you said but soaped at 32% lye concentration. It's pretty cool now as we are coming into winter. It was about 18*C. But I soap warm wrap it and put it in the oven at 110*F so it doesn't have much time to suffer! Could be the alcohol makes a difference or maybe it's the combination!

Last edited:
Back